- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 28 May 2019
On 27 March 2019 the British Standards Institution (BSI) opened a public consultation exercise to gather feedback on the draft of the newly formed BS 851188. This is expected to replace the existing Publicly Available Specification PAS 1188 standards for flood resistance products.
This existing PAS standard is broken down into four separate parts:
- PAS 1188-1: Building aperture products
- PAS 1188-2: Temporary products
- PAS 1188-3: Building skirt and wall systems
- PAS 1188-4: Demountable products
Whereas the new BS 851188 standard will be split into the following categories:
- BS 851188-1 Flood resistance products. Part 1: Building products
- BS 851188-2 Flood protection products – Specification. Part 2
The public consultation phase was expected to be open until 28 May 2019.
These standards look at a series of products for flood resistance, which seek to manage water entry into a building, allowing for appropriate conditions. With a wide range of products now available on the market including both active measures (requiring manual implementation in the event of a flood) and passive measures (not requiring manual implementation in the event of a flood outside of normal everyday use), this standard will help identify products that have met an industry recognised British Standard.
BRE conduct a wide variety of training in the field of property flood resilience, to find out more about what resources and products are available to help manage risk of flooding, see the introduction to property flood protection and flood prevention course. Or for more detailed information about how to successfully survey the flood resilience of properties, see Property Flood Resilience Surveyors training course.
This article was originally published on 12 April 2019 on BRE Buzz. It was written by Matt Barker.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Applying flood resilience technologies GG 84.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Building flood resilience.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Changing attitudes to property flood resilience in the UK.
- Flood defences.
- Flood insurance.
- Flood risk.
- Future flood prevention.
- Pitt Review.
- Property flood resilience.
- Ten years on – Lessons from the Flood on building resilience.
Featured articles and news
Are you an experienced writer with a practical understanding of the industry?
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
New Dwelling House at Grange View.
The causes of sinkholes.
The growth of megacities.
The restoration of Big Ben
Improving fire-safety design with computer modelling.
Sound insulation testing.
Making commercial property more efficient.
SF6 is at the heart of the electrical industry.
Caring for graves and memorials at 23,000 locations.
A return to historical forms and local identities. Book review.
Black water recycling.
Opening the door to all.
The 1960s Lava lamp.