- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Sep 2016
ARCHIVE CIOB competition winners
THIS COMPETITION HAS CLOSED
Drum roll please.
Mark Wilson for his article insulation specification. Mark is principal at the Leeds-based practice, Design Office Architectural Ltd, and developer of BuildingDesignExpert.com. He is a Chartered Architectural Technologist with a passion for building design technology and innovation. His article looks at the realities of insulation, how installations on site rarely achieve manufacturers’ published performance standards, and what sort of insulation is appropriate where.
The four runners-up are:
- Norman McIntosh from Roundhouse Architecture, for his detailed and practical guide to conical roof slating.
- Charles Hippisley-Cox, Senior Lecturer in Building Conservation at the Department of Architecture & 3d Design at Huddersfield University for his extraordinary article on the use of spiders to eradicate woodworm. Woodworm and spiders.
- Rachael Browne, sixth year MArch student at The Robert Gordon University Aberdeen for her beautifully written article about the history and regeneration of the Ballymun high-rise development in Dublin. Ballymun mass housing and regeneration.
- Oliver Latimer, a 2013 graduate in Civil Engineering MEng from Loughborough University for his article on the relative merits of a dynamic rather than static briefing process. Dynamic briefing.
Congratulations to them all. Certificates will be in the post shortly, and a cheque will be on its way to Mark. You will be hearing more from Mark in the future, as he's been invited to write a guest blog post for our home page. Thank you to everyone who took part in the competition, we received a truly exciting and varied selection of entries, each and every one of which will help develop the ever-expanding knowledge base that is Designing Buildings Wiki.
Now you have the hang of it – keep writing. Why not start by having a look at our list of articles required?
Featured articles and news
A lighthouse history from Eddystone to Fastnet. Book review.
Telling the story of the Government Code and Cipher School.
Are you an experienced writer with a practical understanding of the industry?
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
New Dwelling House at Grange View.
The causes of sinkholes.
The growth of megacities.
The restoration of Big Ben
Improving fire-safety design with computer modelling.
Sound insulation testing.
Making commercial property more efficient.
SF6 is at the heart of the electrical industry.
Caring for graves and memorials at 23,000 locations.
A return to historical forms and local identities. Book review.
Black water recycling.