- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 20 Feb 2021
Visual elements of design
The visual elements of design include:
This is a mark between two points. Lines can be straight, squiggly or curved. A line serves to:
- Connect and support other visual elements.
- Emphasise plane edges and create shapes.
- Manipulate the surface appearance of planes.
Colour can evoke emotions and feelings
- Red excites and stimulates but when very deep can be disturbing, heavy, aggressive and alerting.
- Orange stimulates and creates attention, warms, is luminous, activating and like red is also motion oriented.
- Yellow elevates, but can be irritating particularly when highly saturated.
- Green can be relaxing, natural, soft and passive.
- Geometric shapes can easily be defined using mathematical procedures, they are regular and precise, including squares, rectangles, triangles, ovals, pentagons and so on.
- Free-form or organic shapes are complex to define using mathematical formulas, they are irregular, uneven and often derive from nature. Examples are puddles, trees, animals, leaves, rocks and so on.
Texture refers to properties relating to the smoothness, softness or coarseness of a surface. In a design, texture helps to create visual interest or focal points, contrast and balance. There are two types of texture, real and implied.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The last few days, but action needed over the next decade.
80 construction leaders and companies from across the UK.
Promoting the importance of building and fire safety.
A brief run through essential training tips from a user.
A comprehensive guide from a Cohesive BIM wiki user.
From the basics to the future from our Cohesive BIM wiki.
As electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
From practice to research and the business of materials.