- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 Aug 2019
UK Contractors’ Group
The UKCG worked collaboratively with other industry bodies to ensure its voice was heard by government and society and to provide leadership for a vibrant, valued and more diverse construction industry.
Its principal activities were to:
- Promote the importance of construction to the UK economy and society and to help establish the best possible business conditions for the construction industry.
- Encourage members to work together to lead change in the industry and spread best practice.
- Work with other industry groups to speak with a common voice on industry issues.
It suggested that the common values of its members included:
- Regenerating local communities.
- Providing local employment opportunities.
- Delivering a green economy.
- Improving health and wellbeing of local communities.
- Adopting the highest ethical standards.
- Delivering the Considerate Contructors Scheme.
On 25 June 2015, the UK Contractors’ Group and National Specialist Contractors Council (NSCC) confirmed that they would merge to create Build UK, ‘…a strong collective voice for the contracting supply chain in construction’.
This followed calls from the government for a single, unified voice from the construction industry, combined with an increasing realisation that the UKCG and NSCC held similar positions in a number of key areas.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
A simple path to possible error avoidance.
Construction + technology = ConTech.
New low and high tech tools enter the marketplace.
Report looks at mental health in the built environment.
Radiant wall heating method to control rising damp.
What future infrastructure provision might look like.
Highlighting the health benefits of home improvement.
Pavilions for music, entertainment, and leisure. Book review.
Broadening our understanding of Dublin’s chequered social history.
The charm of London's Cabmen's shelters.
Future Weather Files research tool looking for feedback.
Exploring the Colour Rendering Index.
Why it's important to find out what went wrong.
ECA reviews the shape of the construction job market.
Why proper room acoustics make a difference.
Initiative puts gas networks on the path to net zero.
WICE Woman Architectural Technologist of the Year 2019.