- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Sep 2018
Total useful floor area TUFA
The area of a building can be measured in a number of different ways, and it is very important to be clear about which measure is being used, for example in property sales, planning applications, building regulations applications, lease negotiations, rating valuations and so on.
- The area of sloping surfaces such as staircases, galleries, raked auditoria and tiered terraces should be taken as their area on plan.
- Areas that are not enclosed such as open floors, covered ways and balconies are excluded.'
This refers to the precise definitions for the accurate measurement of buildings set out in the RICS Code of Measuring Practice. However, the term 'gross floor area' is more correctly described as 'gross internal area', which describes the enclosed area of a building within the external walls taking each floor into account but excluding the thickness of the external walls. This is distinct from the 'gross external areal' which describes the whole area of the building, including external walls.
For more information, see Gross internal area.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Conversion of material volumes.
- Gross external area.
- Gross internal area.
- Net internal area.
- Beneficial occupation.
- Case notes for rating valuation.
- Choice of method for rating valuation.
- Floor area ratio.
- International Property Measurement Standards.
- Measurement of existing buildings.
- Occupant capacity of a building or space.
- Profits method of rating valuation.
- Rating valuation.
- Rental method of rating valuation.
- Statutory formulae for rating valuation.
Featured articles and news
The rainbow JCB will be making a welcome return to the London Build Expo on 23 and 24 October at Olympia.
An introductory article to external works - all activities carried out to the external environment of a building project.
With the clock ticking, RIBA say that a 'no deal Brexit' will be "disastrous" for the architecture profession.
The focus is generally on the lime binder, but the aggregate is actually the most significant element.
The importance of communication, collaboration and simplicity when planning construction projects.
New working group is set up to consider options for raising standards across the property agent sector.
BSRIA provide a top 10 list of recent legislation and guidance affecting buildings.
Record third-time winner of the RIBA Stirling Prize - our profile of one of the world's most celebrated architects.
Foster + Partner's London Bloomberg HQ building wins the 2018 Stirling Prize.
A release schedule is prepared if not all required information has been prepared or issued when the contract is executed.