- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Dec 2018
Total useful floor area TUFA
The area of a building can be measured in a number of different ways, and it is very important to be clear about which measure is being used, for example in property sales, planning applications, building regulations applications, lease negotiations, rating valuations and so on.
- The area of sloping surfaces such as staircases, galleries, raked auditoria and tiered terraces should be taken as their area on plan.
- Areas that are not enclosed such as open floors, covered ways and balconies are excluded.'
This refers to the precise definitions for the accurate measurement of buildings set out in the RICS Code of Measuring Practice. However, the term 'gross floor area' is more correctly described as 'gross internal area', which describes the enclosed area of a building within the external walls taking each floor into account but excluding the thickness of the external walls. This is distinct from the 'gross external areal' which describes the whole area of the building, including external walls.
For more information, see Gross internal area.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Conversion of material volumes.
- Employment density ratio.
- Gross external area.
- Gross internal area.
- Net internal area.
- Beneficial occupation.
- Case notes for rating valuation.
- Choice of method for rating valuation.
- Floor area ratio.
- International Property Measurement Standards.
- Measurement of existing buildings.
- Occupant capacity of a building or space.
- Profits method of rating valuation.
- Rating valuation.
- Rental method of rating valuation.
- Statutory formulae for rating valuation.
Featured articles and news
What should be evaluated to assess building performance?
BIM standards BS 1192:2007+A2:2016 and PAS 1192-2:2013 have been superceded.
What is biophilic design and how can it increase wellbeing?
80 experts come up with the top 7 mistakes the industry makes with BREEAM.
Compliance cannot be verified by inspection on delivery.
Some electric cars have batteries that give a range of over 350 miles.
Assembling, curating, caring for, and designing the future.
A sensitive approach to renovating a building of historic stature.
UK energy policy uncertainty as Welsh project put on hold
What collaborative working achieves and how it can be put in place.
BSRIA publishes the 2019 edition of its small but concise annual databook.
Using QSAND to measure the performance of disaster response.
What U-values are, why they matter and how they are calculated.