- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 15 Jan 2021
The meaning of concession in the construction industry
Generally, a thing conceded is a concession. When something is applied for or requested – whether a right, privilege or point of fact (e.g in an argument) – and it is granted, then the thing that has been granted is a concession.
Examples of a concession are:
- The right to roam across somebody else’s land.
- A business that is granted a licence to operate a concession within another business e.g a newspaper stall in a station.
- Conceding a point in an argument e.g as a way to admit defeat.
For example, a contractor or other supplier which funds and undertakes works in return for payment through capitalising on the finished works. For example, a main contractor is given the concession to apply tolls to a bridge for a certain period (e.g 30 years) as full or part payment for having built the bridge. Such an arrangement may be part of a complex private finance initiative (PFI).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Build, own, operate and transfer (BOOT).
- Complex project.
- Concession agreement.
- Construction contract.
- Equivalent project relief provisions.
- How business can bridge the infrastructure gap.
- Managing the procurement process.
- PFIs and adjudication.
- Private finance initiative.
- Public Private Partnership.
Featured articles and news
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Inventors and innovators at ICE.
Life, death and art at the Stuart court. Book review.
Real estate, place adaptation and innovation.
Review and comment on the revised draft before July 11.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !
A blended event and triumphant return.
Mark Reynolds succeeds Andy Mitchell as Co-Chair of CLC
Designing Buildings is 10 years old.
From alteration to deconstruction on DB.
Understanding temperature in buildings on DB.
A call for home energy management to be modernised.
How many different types can you think of ?
Looking back and fourth to what still needs to be done.
Pioneering Indian environmental design Architect.
The greenest building is the one already built.
History of Temple Meads rewritten.
Currently standing at just 1%.
Find out more with BSRIA.
Changes come into force for F,L,O and S.