- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2020
Specialist designer for construction projects
Specialist designers may be:
- Contractors or suppliers appointed in the first instance to carry out design and subsequently to carry out the works on site or to supply goods or services.
- Appointed by the client to carry out design and then perhaps to monitor works on site.
- Sub-consultants to a member of the consultant team.
Where specialist designers are contractors or suppliers, they may be appointed through a two-stage tender process where the specialist design services are procured in the first stage along with agreed rates, overheads and profit for the the products or services to be supplied in the second stage. The specialist designer might then become a named sub-contractor or nominated sub-contractor, or a named supplier in the main contract. In some cases, this second stage appointment might be made direct by the client (for example for the supply of equipment outside of the scope of the main contract).
On publicly-funded projects, OJEU procurement rules may apply to the appointment of a specialist designers if the potential cost of either the first or second stage contract exceeds the relevant threshold.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building Information Modelling.
- Collaborative practices.
- Consultant team start up meeting.
- Design liability.
- Design management.
- Design manager.
- Lead consultant.
- Lead designer.
- Nominated sub-contractor.
- Named sub-contractor.
- Named supplier.
- Procurement routes.
- Specialist contractors.
- Specialist contractors start up meeting.
- Structural waterproofing consultant.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Technology informs procurement and planning practices.
BSRIA releases market sector growth projections.
Designing for durability and resilience.
Do plans to connect infrastructure and housing stack up?
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?