- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 05 Mar 2018
Specialist designer for construction projects
Specialist designers may be:
- Contractors or suppliers appointed in the first instance to carry out design and subsequently to carry out the works on site or to supply goods or services.
- Appointed by the client to carry out design and then perhaps to monitor works on site.
- Sub-consultants to a member of the consultant team.
Where specialist designers are contractors or suppliers, they may be appointed through a two-stage tender process where the specialist design services are procured in the first stage along with agreed rates, overheads and profit for the the products or services to be supplied in the second stage. The specialist designer might then become a named sub-contractor or nominated sub-contractor, or a named supplier in the main contract. In some cases, this second stage appointment might be made direct by the client (for example for the supply of equipment outside of the scope of the main contract).
On publicly-funded projects, OJEU procurement rules may apply to the appointment of a specialist designers if the potential cost of either the first or second stage contract exceeds the relevant threshold.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building Information Modelling.
- Collaborative practices.
- Consultant team start up meeting.
- Design liability.
- Design management.
- Design manager.
- Lead consultant.
- Lead designer.
- Nominated sub-contractor.
- Named sub-contractor.
- Named supplier.
- Procurement routes.
- Specialist contractors.
- Specialist contractors start up meeting.
- Structural waterproofing consultant.
 External references
Featured articles and news
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.
Avoiding 'winner's curse' and other useful info.
Developing test methods for video flame/smoke detectors
Waiting for a new deal ...but will funding materialise?
Our servers have reached another milestone. Why not write an article and be seen by our 6.5 million users.
RSHP celebrates competition win in Paris.
All about approved inspectors.
Whilst apparently confusing, German conservation is actually not that different.
The rise and fall of council housing. Book review.
Drivers of change in global heating markets.