- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 30 Dec 2020
Smart coatings are coatings designed to impart functionality to the applied surfaces. Smart coatings can actively sense and respond to external environmental stimuli such as pressure, temperature, light, and heat, and react with an appropriate response. Nano materials have recently emerged as useful technique for providing improved functionality in making such coatings. There are smart coatings for corrosion resistance, self-healing, antimicrobial, self-cleaning, and others.
The smart coatings market is expected to grow to 2027 due to factors such as growing demand from end-user industries, growing demands for low-maintenance products and superior properties. However, stringent environmental regulations and the high cost of smart coatings may restrict growth.
The global smart coatings market is segmented on the basis of function, layer and end use.
- Based on function, the market is segmented as anti-corrosion, anti-icing, anti-microbial, anti-fouling, self-healing, self-cleaning, and others' smart coatings.
- On the basis of layer, the market is segmented as single layer and multi-layer.
- On the basis of end use the market is classified as automotive and transportation, marine, building and construction, aerospace and defense, and others.
- BASF SE
- Bayer AG
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Industrial Nanotech, Inc.
- Tesla NanoCoatings
- The Dow Chemical Company
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Engineering Smart Cities.
- European connected and smart home market.
- PAS 180:2014 Smart cities – Vocabulary.
- PAS 181:2014 Smart city Framework.
- PAS 182 Smart city data concept model.
- Smart airports.
- Smart city.
- Smart cities design timeframe.
- Smart construction.
- Smart glass.
- Smart greenhouse.
- Smart homes in Germany.
- Smart kitchen appliances.
- Smart meter.
- Smart technology.
- The smart buildings market.
Featured articles and news
BSRIA explores US share of 2020 VRF market.
New fire safety requirement comes into force.
Different types of bridges are meant to move.
A logical approach to handling the internal voice of self doubt.
First fashionable in the US, decorative metal has become globally desirable.
Helping communities preserve and enhance historic environments.
Creating comfortable climates despite extreme temperatures.
Study examines how adjustable arrangements can succeed.
Government announces plans to improve accessibility.
Resource addresses pandemic-related NEC4 contract issues.
Incorporating EDI into the provision of fair access.
Government announces global innovation strategy.