- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 May 2019
Smart coatings are coatings designed to impart functionality to the applied surfaces. Smart coatings can actively sense and respond to external environmental stimuli such as pressure, temperature, light, and heat, and react with an appropriate response. Nano materials have recently emerged as useful technique for providing improved functionality in making such coatings. There are smart coatings for corrosion resistance, self-healing, antimicrobial, self-cleaning, and others.
The smart coatings market is expected to grow to 2027 due to factors such as growing demand from end-user industries, growing demands for low-maintenance products and superior properties. However, stringent environmental regulations and the high cost of smart coatings may restrict growth.
The global smart coatings market is segmented on the basis of function, layer and end use.
- Based on function, the market is segmented as anti-corrosion, anti-icing, anti-microbial, anti-fouling, self-healing, self-cleaning, and others' smart coatings.
- On the basis of layer, the market is segmented as single layer and multi-layer.
- On the basis of end use the market is classified as automotive and transportation, marine, building and construction, aerospace and defense, and others.
The key smart coatings companies are:
- BASF SE
- Bayer AG
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Industrial Nanotech, Inc.
- Tesla NanoCoatings
- The Dow Chemical Company
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Engineering Smart Cities.
- European connected and smart home market.
- PAS 180:2014 Smart cities – Vocabulary.
- PAS 181:2014 Smart city Framework.
- PAS 182 Smart city data concept model.
- Smart airports.
- Smart city.
- Smart cities design timeframe.
- Smart construction.
- Smart glass.
- Smart greenhouse.
- Smart homes in Germany.
- Smart kitchen appliances.
- Smart meter.
- Smart technology.
- The smart buildings market.
Featured articles and news
The government moves to halt the rise of gender neutral facilities.
The role of HVAC systems in the safe return to work.
CLC provides guidance related to product marks, post-Brexit.
Net zero goals incorporated into plans for a new European Bauhaus.
BREEAM offers its resilient approach to Building Back Better.
Country moves one step closer to creating independent body.
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.