- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 May 2019
Smart coatings are coatings designed to impart functionality to the applied surfaces. Smart coatings can actively sense and respond to external environmental stimuli such as pressure, temperature, light, and heat, and react with an appropriate response. Nano materials have recently emerged as useful technique for providing improved functionality in making such coatings. There are smart coatings for corrosion resistance, self-healing, antimicrobial, self-cleaning, and others.
The smart coatings market is expected to grow to 2027 due to factors such as growing demand from end-user industries, growing demands for low-maintenance products and superior properties. However, stringent environmental regulations and the high cost of smart coatings may restrict growth.
The global smart coatings market is segmented on the basis of function, layer and end use.
- Based on function, the market is segmented as anti-corrosion, anti-icing, anti-microbial, anti-fouling, self-healing, self-cleaning, and others' smart coatings.
- On the basis of layer, the market is segmented as single layer and multi-layer.
- On the basis of end use the market is classified as automotive and transportation, marine, building and construction, aerospace and defense, and others.
The key smart coatings companies are:
- BASF SE
- Bayer AG
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Industrial Nanotech, Inc.
- Tesla NanoCoatings
- The Dow Chemical Company
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Engineering Smart Cities.
- European connected and smart home market.
- PAS 180:2014 Smart cities – Vocabulary.
- PAS 181:2014 Smart city Framework.
- PAS 182 Smart city data concept model.
- Smart airports.
- Smart city.
- Smart cities design timeframe.
- Smart construction.
- Smart glass.
- Smart greenhouse.
- Smart homes in Germany.
- Smart kitchen appliances.
- Smart meter.
- Smart technology.
- The smart buildings market.
Featured articles and news
Their survival against the odds is a remarkable feature of the City’s history.
Immersed, charmed and inspired on conservation’s front line.
About JCT...and the rest
The Centre Building, London School of Economics
Architecture course essentials
Enhancing employee health and wellbeing
Underfloor heating opportunities as world radiator market cools.
Points to consider to make specifying sustainable.
It is not just about speed
The Flatiron Building, New York
Which way up should you lay a brick?