- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 03 Dec 2021
Smart coatings are coatings designed to impart functionality to the applied surfaces. Smart coatings can actively sense and respond to external environmental stimuli such as pressure, temperature, light, and heat, and react with an appropriate response. Nano materials have recently emerged as useful technique for providing improved functionality in making such coatings. There are smart coatings for corrosion resistance, self-healing, antimicrobial, self-cleaning, and others.
The smart coatings market is expected to grow to 2027 due to factors such as growing demand from end-user industries, growing demands for low-maintenance products and superior properties. However, stringent environmental regulations and the high cost of smart coatings may restrict growth.
The global smart coatings market is segmented on the basis of function, layer and end use.
- Based on function, the market is segmented as anti-corrosion, anti-icing, anti-microbial, anti-fouling, self-healing, self-cleaning, and others' smart coatings.
- On the basis of layer, the market is segmented as single layer and multi-layer.
- On the basis of end use the market is classified as automotive and transportation, marine, building and construction, aerospace and defense, and others.
- BASF SE
- Bayer AG
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Industrial Nanotech, Inc.
- Tesla NanoCoatings
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Corrosion resistance.
- Engineering Smart Cities.
- European connected and smart home market.
- PAS 180:2014 Smart cities – Vocabulary.
- PAS 181:2014 Smart city Framework.
- PAS 182 Smart city data concept model.
- Smart airports.
- Smart city.
- Smart cities design timeframe.
- Smart construction.
- Smart glass.
- Smart greenhouse.
- Smart homes in Germany.
- Smart kitchen appliances.
- Smart meter.
- Smart technology.
- The smart buildings market.
Featured articles and news
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.