- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 26 Nov 2020
Self-build home: Raise finance
There are several approaches that can be adopted for raising finance:
- Sell an existing property and use any remaining equity after paying back loans. Allowance may need to be made for financing temporary accommodation during the period between sale completion and occupation of the self-build home.
- Raise funds using equity in an existing property as collateral.
- Use capital or liquidate other assets.
- Obtain a mortgage loan. There are a number of companies offering self-build mortgages, typically on the basis of 75% against land value and 60% against building value, releasing funds in the form of stage payments. It is advisable to seek a range of quotes and to pay particular attention to charges for inspection of the work to release progress payments and re-valuations. These charges can vary significantly.
- Apply to schemes such as the Government Custom Build Investment Fund for a loan. This is only available for community schemes with a minimum of five dwellings and a maximum cost of £3m.
NB Self-build homes and the conversion of non-residential buildings into dwellings may qualify to reclaim the VAT paid on eligible building materials and services. See VAT refunds on self-build homes for more information.
Featured articles and news
Declaration prioritising sustainable urbanisation adopted.
Some brief words about the actuator.
After 34 years at the Institute.
To support the next generation of engineers.
CIAT reporting from the Competition and Markets Authority.
Making sustainable construction number one priority.
Interview with ECA CEO.
Many provisions came into force on June 28, 2022.
With room to expand.
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Why building acoustic considerations must be non-negotiable.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Inventors and innovators at ICE.
Life, death and art at the Stuart court. Book review.
Real estate, place adaptation and innovation.
Review and comment on the revised draft before July 11.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !
A blended event and triumphant return.
Mark Reynolds succeeds Andy Mitchell as Co-Chair of CLC
Designing Buildings is 10 years old.
From alteration to deconstruction on DB.
Changes come into force for F,L,O and S.