- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Dec 2014
Self-build home: Raise finance
There are several approaches that can be adopted for raising finance:
- Sell an existing property and use any remaining equity after paying back loans. Allowance may need to be made for financing temporary accommodation during the period between sale completion and occupation of the self-build home.
- Raise funds using equity in an existing property as collateral.
- Use capital or liquidate other assets.
- Obtain a mortgage loan. There are a number of companies offering self-build mortgages, typically on the basis of 75% against land value and 60% against building value, releasing funds in the form of stage payments. It is advisable to seek a range of quotes and to pay particular attention to charges for inspection of the work to release progress payments and re-valuations. These charges can vary significantly.
- Apply to schemes such as the Government Custom Build Investment Fund for a loan. This is only available for community schemes with a minimum of five dwellings and a maximum cost of £3m.
NB Self-build homes and the conversion of non-residential buildings into dwellings may qualify to reclaim the VAT paid on eligible building materials and services. See VAT refunds on self-build homes for more information.
Featured articles and news
Architecture considered somewhere between 'sublime and beautiful'.
Polish piano factory revived through an energy-oriented tune up.
Dynamic architectural approach sets out to restore and improve the environment.
Entries accepted from 1 December 2020 to 14 April 2021.
Procedure discontinued for sale or re-mortgage of buildings without cladding.
The art of negotiation.
APPGI considers key issues for economic recovery.
Progress made on global fire safety standard.
Why did it take 111 years to build this Victorian engineering marvel?
Fantastic cities from above but flawed on the ground.
Organisation unveils supporting tools and initiatives.
How some Victorians created insulated floor foundations.
Practical methods to tackle airborne particle transmission.