Self-build home: Raise finance
- Sell an existing property and use any remaining equity after paying back loans. Allowance may need to be made for financing temporary accommodation during the period between sale completion and occupation of the self-build home.
- Raise funds using equity in an existing property as collateral.
- Use capital or liquidate other assets.
- Obtain a mortgage loan. There are a number of companies offering self-build mortgages, typically on the basis of 75% against land value and 60% against building value, releasing funds in the form of stage payments. It is advisable to seek a range of quotes and to pay particular attention to charges for inspection of the work to release progress payments and re-valuations. These charges can vary significantly.
- Apply to schemes such as the Government Custom Build Investment Fund for a loan. This is only available for community schemes with a minimum of five dwellings and a maximum cost of £3m.
NB Self-build homes and the conversion of non-residential buildings into dwellings may qualify to reclaim the VAT paid on eligible building materials and services. See VAT refunds on self-build homes for more information.
Featured articles and news
Read about the launch event for our major new report about the worrying and widening construction knowledge gap.
We've analysed 6 million pieces of data to reveal that the knowledge framework underpinning the construction industry is no longer fit for purpose.
The theme for BSRIA's 2017 Briefing is 'Solutions to Tomorrow’s Challenges in Today’s Buildings'.
Dealing more than 1,700 consultations was just one of last year’s tasks for the Gardens Trust.
Read about the history behind one of California's most iconic buildings, the Griffith Observatory.
ICE examine just how close we are to providing subsidy-free low carbon electricity.
Have a look at MAD Architects' design proposal for renovating Montparnasse Tower into a concave mirror.
This article examines the legal issues behind off-site goods and materials.
Read about how technology is changing the real estate industry.
BRE Global introduce the first registration scheme for Suitably Qualified Security Specialists.
An introductory article to the different types of building foundations.
This unique Brutalist-era car park just off Oxford Street is soon to be demolished.