Self-build home: Raise finance
- Sell an existing property and use any remaining equity after paying back loans. Allowance may need to be made for financing temporary accommodation during the period between sale completion and occupation of the self-build home.
- Raise funds using equity in an existing property as collateral.
- Use capital or liquidate other assets.
- Obtain a mortgage loan. There are a number of companies offering self-build mortgages, typically on the basis of 75% against land value and 60% against building value, releasing funds in the form of stage payments. It is advisable to seek a range of quotes and to pay particular attention to charges for inspection of the work to release progress payments and re-valuations. These charges can vary significantly.
- Apply to schemes such as the Government Custom Build Investment Fund for a loan. This is only available for community schemes with a minimum of five dwellings and a maximum cost of £3m.
NB Self-build homes and the conversion of non-residential buildings into dwellings may qualify to reclaim the VAT paid on eligible building materials and services. See VAT refunds on self-build homes for more information.
Featured articles and news
A visually dramatic means of story-telling, large-scale murals can be an effective way to engage communities.
There were over 1,400 new articles added to Designing Buildings Wiki in 2016. Here are the top 15 most popular.
MVRDV reveal designs for a strange holiday villa in Taiwan.
New milestone achieved with launch of new safety lanyard for working from height.
A quick introductory article about preliminaries in construction.
Brandenburg Gate - an historic structure that went from symbolising German partition to European unity.
A discussion between construction key players and leading insurers on the future outlook for construction insurance.
New guide from BSRIA on building performance evaluation in domestic buildings.
Rogers Stirk Harbour and Partners complete new trio of towers at Sydney Harbour.
With a new government consultation underway, ICE look at creating a smarter, more flexible energy system.
British Antarctic Survey announces research station is to relocate 23km due to growing crack in the ice shelf.