Self-build home: Raise finance
- Sell an existing property and use any remaining equity after paying back loans. Allowance may need to be made for financing temporary accommodation during the period between sale completion and occupation of the self-build home.
- Raise funds using equity in an existing property as collateral.
- Use capital or liquidate other assets.
- Obtain a mortgage loan. There are a number of companies offering self-build mortgages, typically on the basis of 75% against land value and 60% against building value, releasing funds in the form of stage payments. It is advisable to seek a range of quotes and to pay particular attention to charges for inspection of the work to release progress payments and re-valuations. These charges can vary significantly.
- Apply to schemes such as the Government Custom Build Investment Fund for a loan. This is only available for community schemes with a minimum of five dwellings and a maximum cost of £3m.
NB Self-build homes and the conversion of non-residential buildings into dwellings may qualify to reclaim the VAT paid on eligible building materials and services. See VAT refunds on self-build homes for more information.
Featured articles and news
Studio Libeskind reveal designs for a new skyscraper with a living facade in Toulouse.
A mega-dome, a cenotaph for Newton, a bubble over New York - some of the most famous projects that were never realised.
One of the oldest and finest examples of Byzantine and Islamic architecture, the Dome of the Rock.
Have a look at our article explaining thermal comfort in buildings.
BRE's ethical labour sourcing standard and how it could help tackle modern slavery in the construction industry.
BSRIA publish mechanical and electrical maintenance customer satisfaction key performance indicators.
Have a look at our article on the history, practice and techniques of placemaking.
Have a look at the key recommendations from ICE's new report on the digital transformation of infrastructure.
The Gate of Europe, the world's first inclining high-rises, with a lean of 15-degrees.
Why engineers need to keep pace with the challenges and opportunities of the digital transformation of the infrastructure sector.
Have a read of our introductory article on fabric structures; their history, properties and characteristics, and more...