Self-build home: Raise finance
- Sell an existing property and use any remaining equity after paying back loans. Allowance may need to be made for financing temporary accommodation during the period between sale completion and occupation of the self-build home.
- Raise funds using equity in an existing property as collateral.
- Use capital or liquidate other assets.
- Obtain a mortgage loan. There are a number of companies offering self-build mortgages, typically on the basis of 75% against land value and 60% against building value, releasing funds in the form of stage payments. It is advisable to seek a range of quotes and to pay particular attention to charges for inspection of the work to release progress payments and re-valuations. These charges can vary significantly.
- Apply to schemes such as the Government Custom Build Investment Fund for a loan. This is only available for community schemes with a minimum of five dwellings and a maximum cost of £3m.
NB Self-build homes and the conversion of non-residential buildings into dwellings may qualify to reclaim the VAT paid on eligible building materials and services. See VAT refunds on self-build homes for more information.
Featured articles and news
The first CIC briefing of 2017 covered a construction economic forecast, illegal migrant workers, and a Crossrail 2 update.
Have a look at this competition-winning proposal for a new mountain range-like complex in China.
BRE and Environment Agency join forces to try and build flood resilience into the fabric of Britain.
This spherical house in Vienna is considered a micro-nation - the Republic of Kugelmugel.
Commission has been awarded for a floating church designed after a pair of organ bellows.
"Teachers and schools do not understand construction very well" and need to do more, according to Carol Lynch.
ICE examine the use of structural engineering codes and the use of withdrawn British Standards.
BREEAM expands its digital horizon with first online dynamic syncing of assessment data.
RIAS criticise the transfer of responsibility from construction professionals to other parties less involved with the design process.
Building Automation and Control Systems (BACS) market in North America continues to grow.
Frank Lloyd Wright's last major project, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York.
Designing Buildings Wiki attended the Surface Design Show and spoke with 2 leading figures in natural stone and hotel design.