- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Sep 2018
Remodelling your home and hiring good builders
This article needs more work. To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
Building contractors or builders repair all kinds of structural issues such as cracks or fissures in the foundation, damaged brickwork, patios, driveways, broken stonework and so on. So, whenever you see there's a need to repair parts of a building it is important that you hire a building contractor who is an expert in the particular field you require.
Here are some effective tips that will help you choose the right builder:
- You can begin your search by asking your friends and colleagues for recommendations about experienced builders. Then do thorough research about their past record. Once you get a list, schedule appointments with them and compare their charges. Also, ask for an estimate of the total costs that are likely to be incurred. This way, you can choose the most affordable service provider in your region.
- Before hiring anyone, contact your local homebuilder's licensing department (some countries only) to check that the building contractor you are hiring is an owner of a valid license or not. Make sure that the builder is properly insured otherwise, if an accident occurs, you may end up having to pay for the damages. When you're meeting multiple contractors, always request a copy of their license and proof of appropriate insurance. Find out how long they have been working in this field.
- If you can, make some visits to of their construction sites in and around your region. This is a good way to judge how efficient the potential builder is, how many workers they have, the quality of workmanship, and so on.
- Before signing any agreement with your building contractor, carefully read the documents given by him (or you). Make sure you understand all the terms and conditions and that you are satisfied with them.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Pushing the boundaries of the creative process.
Report from CIOB and i3PT published.
Air rights for developing above existing properties.
New national seismic hazard maps for the UK.
Six technologies guiding O&M into the future.
Homes carved from sandstone cliffs in England.
A review of the HES pilot project.
Organisation alerts membership to findings of IHBC research.
Four outstanding professionals recognised.
Sustainable flooring from super strong grass.
Organisation presents reactions from industry leaders.
New infrastructure bank to be based in the North of England.
Fairer, faster, greener. A summary of the key points.