Last edited 15 Feb 2021

Protected species licence

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 provides protection for animal and plant species that are rare in Great Britain. However, Under certain circumstances, it may be necessary disturb or remove wildlife:

A licence may be required to disturb certain habitats or remove wildlife from their natural environments. Failure to obtain a suitable licence can result in a fine of up to £5,000 and 6 months in prison.

There are 3 main types of licence:

In addition, licences may be necessary to:

European protected species (EPS) receive protection under the Conservation of Species and Habitat Regulations 2010. This means it is an offence to:

A mitigation licence may be required for work that impacts on European protected species. Mitigation licence applications must pass 3 tests:

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again