- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 May 2017
Metropolitan open land (MOL)
Metropolitan open land (MOL) is a form of land designation within London. Land designated as MOL is intended to be protected as an area of landscape, recreation, nature conservation or scientific interest. MOL designation provides land with the same level of protection as the Green Belt.
For land to be designated as MOL, it should conform with at least one of the following stipulations:
- It contributes to the physical structure of London by being clearly distinguishable from the built-up area.
- It includes open-air facilities which serve the whole or significant parts of London for the purposes of leisure, recreation, sport, arts and cultural activities or tourism.
- It contains features or landscape of historic, recreational, nature conservation or habitat interest.
- It forms part of a 'Green Chain' and meets one of the above criteria.
For any alterations to be made to an MOL boundary, the boroughs should go through the local development framework (LDF) process, in consultation with both the Mayor of London and the adjoining authorities.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Brownfield land.
- Contaminated land.
- Designated sites.
- Green belt.
- Local development framework LDF.
- Making the Green Belt work for London.
- Planning permission.
- Response to Mayors consultation document.
- Strategic industrial locations (SILs).
- The future of the green belt.
- Windfall site.
Featured articles and news
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.