- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 21 Sep 2020
Metropolitan open land (MOL)
Metropolitan open land (MOL) is a form of land designation within London. Land designated as MOL is intended to be protected as an area of landscape, recreation, nature conservation or scientific interest. MOL designation provides land with the same level of protection as the Green Belt.
For land to be designated as MOL, it should conform with at least one of the following stipulations:
- It contributes to the physical structure of London by being clearly distinguishable from the built-up area.
- It includes open-air facilities which serve the whole or significant parts of London for the purposes of leisure, recreation, sport, arts and cultural activities or tourism.
- It contains features or landscape of historic, recreational, nature conservation or habitat interest.
- It forms part of a 'Green Chain' and meets one of the above criteria.
For any alterations to be made to an MOL boundary, the boroughs should go through the local development framework (LDF) process, in consultation with both the Mayor of London and the adjoining authorities.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Brownfield land.
- Contaminated land.
- Designated sites.
- Green belt.
- Local development framework LDF.
- Making the Green Belt work for London.
- Planning permission.
- Response to Mayors consultation document.
- Strategic industrial locations (SILs).
- The future of the green belt.
- Windfall site.
Featured articles and news
Significant changes to BS 7671:2018+A2:2022 announced.
Students available for administrative roles.
Delisting a World Heritage Site.
Design needs to be more diverse to be widely accessible.
It’s not always a case of the centre leading.
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.