- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 10 Jan 2021
Lyons Housing Commission report
In November 2016, BSRIA welcomed the Lyons’ Housing Commission report ‘What more should Government do to promote the building of new homes?’
Building on recommendations from its previous report, the Lyons Housing Review, published in 2014, it suggests that in the forthcoming Housing White Paper and Industrial Strategy, the Government has the opportunity to develop a more comprehensive approach. An approach of this kind, they say, could help tackle the housing crisis by driving a sustained increase in the quantity, quality and affordability of new homes.
- Bringing forward a wider range of sites to address dysfunction in the land market.
- Ensuring the more rapid building out of sites with planning permission awarded.
- Going beyond the narrow focus on home ownership to a whole-system solution, focusing on supply-side measures.
- Recognising the important roles that Housing associations, Local Authorities and SMEs can play in growing the industry’s capacity to deliver more homes.
- Emphasising quality for sustainable and successful long-term development.
- Understanding that different areas have different needs, and delivering accordingly.
Julia Evans, Chief Executive, BSRIA, said:
“But building homes is a matter of quality as well as quantity. The focus on more volume makes quality more important than ever and an added emphasis on the status of quality of homes and places is needed to guarantee that in challenging the housing crisis we are not building the costly slums or soulless estates of tomorrow.
“Some of the ‘offsite’ building and zero waste methods that are currently being adopted do signify an exciting movement which can be explored more and offer the potential for changes within the industry.
“It should be noted that in the two years since the Lyon’s Housing Commission published its review of housing supply, tackling the housing crisis has risen up the national political agenda and is rooted as a top priority for government.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Inventors and innovators at ICE.
Life, death and art at the Stuart court. Book review.
Real estate, place adaptation and innovation.
Review and comment on the revised draft before July 11.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !
A blended event and triumphant return.
Mark Reynolds succeeds Andy Mitchell as Co-Chair of CLC
Designing Buildings is 10 years old.
From alteration to deconstruction on DB.
Understanding temperature in buildings on DB.
A call for home energy management to be modernised.
How many different types can you think of ?
Looking back and fourth to what still needs to be done.
Pioneering Indian environmental design Architect.
The greenest building is the one already built.
History of Temple Meads rewritten.
Currently standing at just 1%.
Find out more with BSRIA.
Changes come into force for F,L,O and S.