- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Nov 2016
Lyons Housing Commission report
In November 2016, BSRIA welcomed the Lyons’ Housing Commission report ‘What more should Government do to promote the building of new homes?’
Building on recommendations from its previous report, the Lyons Housing Review, published in 2014, it suggests that in the forthcoming Housing White Paper and Industrial Strategy, the Government has the opportunity to develop a more comprehensive approach. An approach of this kind, they say, could help tackle the housing crisis by driving a sustained increase in the quantity, quality and affordability of new homes.
- Bringing forward a wider range of sites to address dysfunction in the land market.
- Ensuring the more rapid building out of sites with planning permission awarded.
- Going beyond the narrow focus on home ownership to a whole-system solution, focusing on supply-side measures.
- Recognising the important roles that Housing associations, Local Authorities and SMEs can play in growing the industry’s capacity to deliver more homes.
- Emphasising quality for sustainable and successful long-term development.
- Understanding that different areas have different needs, and delivering accordingly.
Julia Evans, Chief Executive, BSRIA, said:
“But building homes is a matter of quality as well as quantity. The focus on more volume makes quality more important than ever and an added emphasis on the status of quality of homes and places is needed to guarantee that in challenging the housing crisis we are not building the costly slums or soulless estates of tomorrow.
“Some of the ‘offsite’ building and zero waste methods that are currently being adopted do signify an exciting movement which can be explored more and offer the potential for changes within the industry.
“It should be noted that in the two years since the Lyon’s Housing Commission published its review of housing supply, tackling the housing crisis has risen up the national political agenda and is rooted as a top priority for government.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The Housing Infrastructure Fund
Encouraging access to local amenities and sustainable transport.
Publish your thought leadership articles on Designing Buildings Wiki – for free.
Competence Steering Group publishes interim proposals to deliver safer buildings.
Indoor environments should provide a multi-sensory experience.
We have a great range of introductory articles written by ECA.
7 of the most common myths, busted.
Consider a career in the electrotechnical industry.
Exploring local assets of community significance. Book review.