- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Apr 2016
Emergency relief technical notes
These illustrated notes have been prepared by Loughborough University's Water, Engineering and Development Centre (WEDC) for the World Health Organization. Their aim is to assist those working immediately or shortly after an emergency to plan appropriate responses to the urgent and medium-term water and sanitation needs of affected populations.
The notes are relevant to a wide range of emergency situations, including both natural and conflict-induced disasters. They are suitable for field technicians, engineers and hygiene promotors, as well as staff from agency headquarters.
Please click the links below to view the PDFs.
- Cleaning and rehabilitating hand-dug wells
- Cleaning and rehabilitating boreholes
- Cleaning and disinfecting water storage tanks and tankers
- Rehabilitating small-scale piped water distribution systems
- Emergency treatment of drinking water at the point of use
- Rehabilitating water treatment works after an emergency
- Solid waste management in emergencies
- Disposal of dead bodies
- How much water is needed
- Hygiene promotion in emergencies
- Measuring chlorine levels in water supplies
- Delivering safe water by tanker
- Planning for excreta disposal in emergencies
- Technical options for excreta disposal
- Cleaning wells after seawater flooding
For more information, see WEDC.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki:
Featured articles and news
The Isle of Man’s naturally-occurring materials and distinctive building techniques.
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.