- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 26 Jan 2021
Emergency relief technical notes
These illustrated notes have been prepared by Loughborough University's Water, Engineering and Development Centre (WEDC) for the World Health Organization. Their aim is to assist those working immediately or shortly after an emergency to plan appropriate responses to the urgent and medium-term water and sanitation needs of affected populations.
The notes are relevant to a wide range of emergency situations, including both natural and conflict-induced disasters. They are suitable for field technicians, engineers and hygiene promotors, as well as staff from agency headquarters.
Please click the links below to view the PDFs.
- Cleaning and rehabilitating hand-dug wells
- Cleaning and rehabilitating boreholes
- Cleaning and disinfecting water storage tanks and tankers
- Rehabilitating small-scale piped water distribution systems
- Emergency treatment of drinking water at the point of use
- Rehabilitating water treatment works after an emergency
- Solid waste management in emergencies
- Disposal of dead bodies
- How much water is needed
- Hygiene promotion in emergencies
- Measuring chlorine levels in water supplies
- Delivering safe water by tanker
- Planning for excreta disposal in emergencies
- Technical options for excreta disposal
- Cleaning wells after seawater flooding
 Find out more
Featured articles and news
An overview of the current state of the market.
Organisation offers best practices for construction and modification.
Heritage on the edge?
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.