- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Sep 2017
Draft housing strategy for London 2017
As part of his Homes for Londoners team, the deal makers will be able to use City Hall’s statutory powers, including Compulsory Purchase Orders, to secure land to unlock affordable housing opportunities.
The draft housing strategy includes plans for:
- Beginning construction work on 90,000 new affordable homes by 2021.
- Ensuring a better deal for private renters and increasing tenancy security.
- Supporting new housing providers, including community builders.
- Helping to tackle homelessness.
- Devolving new funding powers and greater resources to City Hall to assemble land.
- Changing the Mayoral Community Infrastructure Levy to allow SME builders to pay less up front.
- Improving the skills, capacity and building methods of the industry.
“From £250 million to kick-start my plans to secure more land for new and affordable homes, to a new model and fairer deal for millions of private renters, I want to help all Londoners facing the housing crisis.
"I will use my powers and resources to their fullest extent, but the government needs to play its part too by giving London the powers and resources we need to see an even greater step change in the number of homes being built. This launch marks the start of a three-month consultation – I want as many Londoners as possible to let me know their views on how we can improve housing in London.”
The launch marks the start of a three-month consultation.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Have the pressures of the market shredded the core values of professionalism?
Lead times are a measure of the amount of time that elapses between initiating and completing a construction process.
Government releases first tranche of funding for removal of unsafe high-rise cladding.
How to ensure UK transport infrastructure copes with severe winter weather.
Location shortlist for controversial new footbridge revealed.
Under the Party Wall Act a property owner has the legal right to do works that might otherwise constitute trespass or nuisance.
BSRIA examine the 'unpredictable' 2018 global air conditioning market.
ICE publish new report calling for new sector-wide body to help avert structural failures.
The rainbow JCB will be making a welcome return to the London Build Expo on 23 and 24 October at Olympia.
An introductory article to external works - all activities carried out to the external environment of a building project.