- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Sep 2017
Draft housing strategy for London 2017
As part of his Homes for Londoners team, the deal makers will be able to use City Hall’s statutory powers, including Compulsory Purchase Orders, to secure land to unlock affordable housing opportunities.
The draft housing strategy includes plans for:
- Beginning construction work on 90,000 new affordable homes by 2021.
- Ensuring a better deal for private renters and increasing tenancy security.
- Supporting new housing providers, including community builders.
- Helping to tackle homelessness.
- Devolving new funding powers and greater resources to City Hall to assemble land.
- Changing the Mayoral Community Infrastructure Levy to allow SME builders to pay less up front.
- Improving the skills, capacity and building methods of the industry.
“From £250 million to kick-start my plans to secure more land for new and affordable homes, to a new model and fairer deal for millions of private renters, I want to help all Londoners facing the housing crisis.
"I will use my powers and resources to their fullest extent, but the government needs to play its part too by giving London the powers and resources we need to see an even greater step change in the number of homes being built. This launch marks the start of a three-month consultation – I want as many Londoners as possible to let me know their views on how we can improve housing in London.”
The launch marks the start of a three-month consultation.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Do you understand the different types of stone and which ones you should use where?
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.
Book review: Buildings of protestant nonconformity.
Design and testing for health and wellbeing - free download from BRE.
Retention in construction contracts.
Campaign for the reform of cash retentions.
The key points for the construction industry and BSRIA's response.
How to make roads safer: the debate continues.
What does the Northern Powerhouse mean for us?
The different types of bond in construction contracts.