- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 01 Dec 2020
Detention pond definition
Approved Document H - Drainage and Waste Disposal, gives the following definition:
'Detention ponds are used to attenuate the flow from a drainage system, to limit the peak rate of flow into a sewer system or watercourse. Further information on design may be found in the references given in paragraph 3.36 and in Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems – A Design Manual for England and Wales published by CIRIA.' (This has been superseded by The SUDS manual (2011 reprint with errata), 2007).
Paragraph 3.36 suggests that the requirement can be met by following the relevant recommendations of:
- BS EN 752-4 Drain and sewer systems outside buildings; Part 4 Hydraulic design and environmental considerations, clauses 3 to 12 and National Annexes NA, NB and ND to NI. (Withdrawn and replaced by BS EN 752 below).
- BS EN 752 Drain and sewer systems outside buildings.
- BS EN 1295-1:1997 Structural design of buried pipelines under variousconditions of loading. General requirements.
- BS EN 1610:1998 Construction and testing of drains and sewers. (Withdrawn and replaced by BS EN 1610:2015 Construction and testing of drains and sewers).
See also: Balancing pond.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Aquatic bench.
- Are sustainable urban drainage systems the response to our changing climate?
- Balancing pond.
- Barking Riverside development landscape.
- Catchment flood management plans.
- Flood and Water Management Act.
- Rainwater harvesting.
- River engineering.
- SuDS infographic.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems SUDS.
- Swales definition.
- Water Act 2014.
- Water engineering.
Featured articles and news
80 construction leaders and companies from across the UK.
A brief run through essential training tips from a user.
A comprehensive guide from a Cohesive BIM wiki user.
From the basics to the future from our Cohesive BIM wiki.
As electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.