- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 01 Dec 2020
Detention pond definition
Approved Document H - Drainage and Waste Disposal, gives the following definition:
'Detention ponds are used to attenuate the flow from a drainage system, to limit the peak rate of flow into a sewer system or watercourse. Further information on design may be found in the references given in paragraph 3.36 and in Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems – A Design Manual for England and Wales published by CIRIA.' (This has been superseded by The SUDS manual (2011 reprint with errata), 2007).
Paragraph 3.36 suggests that the requirement can be met by following the relevant recommendations of:
- BS EN 752-4 Drain and sewer systems outside buildings; Part 4 Hydraulic design and environmental considerations, clauses 3 to 12 and National Annexes NA, NB and ND to NI. (Withdrawn and replaced by BS EN 752 below).
- BS EN 752 Drain and sewer systems outside buildings.
- BS EN 1295-1:1997 Structural design of buried pipelines under variousconditions of loading. General requirements.
- BS EN 1610:1998 Construction and testing of drains and sewers. (Withdrawn and replaced by BS EN 1610:2015 Construction and testing of drains and sewers).
See also: Balancing pond.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Aquatic bench.
- Are sustainable urban drainage systems the response to our changing climate?
- Balancing pond.
- Barking Riverside development landscape.
- Catchment flood management plans.
- Flood and Water Management Act.
- Rainwater harvesting.
- River engineering.
- SuDS infographic.
- Sustainable urban drainage systems SUDS.
- Swales definition.
- Water Act 2014.
- Water engineering.
Featured articles and news
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.