- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 02 Nov 2021
Applying Fabric First principles: Complying with UK energy efficiency requirements FB 80
On 31 March 2016, BRE published; Applying Fabric First principles: Complying with UK energy efficiency requirements (FB 80), written by Steven Stenlund.
The 40-page guide provides an understanding of the principles of a 'Fabric First' approach to help developers and house builders design and build homes to meet energy efficiency requirements - including possible future zero carbon or near zero energy homes). It explains how improved thermal performance, examined with reference to SAP 2009 (Standard Assessment Procedure) calculations for a sample housing development, can lead to optimising the fabric design of dwellings.
- Position and orientation of dwelling types.
- Fabric improvements.
- Thermal bridging.
- Services improvements.
- Developing a standard main specification for application across the site.
The contents of the guide are:
- Executive summary
- Technical appraisal.
- Determining a site-wide compliance specification.
- Further considerations.
- Appendix: Site scenarios.
- Allowable solutions.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Code for sustainable homes.
- Fabric first.
- Fabric first investigation into net zero for existing buildings.
- Fabric first will safeguard heat decarbonisation.
- Passive building design.
- Standard Assessment Procedure SAP.
- Zero carbon homes.
- Zero carbon non-domestic buildings.
Featured articles and news
A definitive book on a pioneer of green architecture.
Using heritage as a catalyst for reviving historic centres.
Declaration prioritising sustainable urbanisation adopted.
Some brief words about the actuator.
After 34 years at the Institute.
To support the next generation of engineers.
CIAT reporting from the Competition and Markets Authority.
Making sustainable construction number one priority.
Interview with ECA CEO.
Many provisions came into force on June 28, 2022.
With room to expand.
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Why building acoustic considerations must be non-negotiable.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Inventors and innovators at ICE.
Life, death and art at the Stuart court. Book review.
Real estate, place adaptation and innovation.
Review and comment on the revised draft before July 11.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !
A blended event and triumphant return.
Mark Reynolds succeeds Andy Mitchell as Co-Chair of CLC
Designing Buildings is 10 years old.
From alteration to deconstruction on DB.