- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 12 Jan 2021
Statement of need for building design and construction
- A description of the business need that may result in a project.
- An assessment of how it will contribute to the corporate strategy.
- An analysis of the high level options (such as do something, do nothing, new build, extend, refurbish, relocate, change the way the organisation works, etc.).
- A description of the nature of the client, and its history.
- A description of the nature of client's operations.
- Information about existing premises and likely future requirements.
- The assumed budget (and the basis for the budget).
- The assumed programme.
- An assessment of the potential for future changes.
The statement of need is likely to be in a report format, however, where possible, information and requirements should be scheduled in a database or spreadsheet that will be easy to expand and will be easy to use to test whether proposals satisfy requirements later in the project.
If independent client advisers are to be appointed to assist with preparing a more detailed 'strategic brief' and to assess the feasibility of the proposed project, the nature of their role and scope of services may be based on the project description in the statement of need.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.