- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 12 Jan 2021
Statement of need for building design and construction
- A description of the business need that may result in a project.
- An assessment of how it will contribute to the corporate strategy.
- An analysis of the high level options (such as do something, do nothing, new build, extend, refurbish, relocate, change the way the organisation works, etc.).
- A description of the nature of the client, and its history.
- A description of the nature of client's operations.
- Information about existing premises and likely future requirements.
- The assumed budget (and the basis for the budget).
- The assumed programme.
- An assessment of the potential for future changes.
The statement of need is likely to be in a report format, however, where possible, information and requirements should be scheduled in a database or spreadsheet that will be easy to expand and will be easy to use to test whether proposals satisfy requirements later in the project.
If independent client advisers are to be appointed to assist with preparing a more detailed 'strategic brief' and to assess the feasibility of the proposed project, the nature of their role and scope of services may be based on the project description in the statement of need.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Many provisions came into force on June 28, 2022.
With room to expand.
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Why building acoustic considerations must be non-negotiable.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Inventors and innovators at ICE.
Life, death and art at the Stuart court. Book review.
Real estate, place adaptation and innovation.
Review and comment on the revised draft before July 11.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !
A blended event and triumphant return.
Mark Reynolds succeeds Andy Mitchell as Co-Chair of CLC
Designing Buildings is 10 years old.
From alteration to deconstruction on DB.
Understanding temperature in buildings on DB.
A call for home energy management to be modernised.
How many different types can you think of ?
Looking back and fourth to what still needs to be done.
Pioneering Indian environmental design Architect.
The greenest building is the one already built.
History of Temple Meads rewritten.
Currently standing at just 1%.
Find out more with BSRIA.
Changes come into force for F,L,O and S.