- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Sep 2020
Statement of need for building design and construction
- A description of the business need that may result in a project.
- An assessment of how it will contribute to the corporate strategy.
- An analysis of the high level options (such as do something, do nothing, new build, extend, refurbish, relocate, change the way the organisation works, etc.).
- A description of the nature of the client, and its history.
- A description of the nature of client's operations.
- Information about existing premises and likely future requirements.
- The assumed budget (and the basis for the budget).
- The assumed programme.
- An assessment of the potential for future changes.
The statement of need is likely to be in a report format, however, where possible, information and requirements should be scheduled in a database or spreadsheet that will be easy to expand and will be easy to use to test whether proposals satisfy requirements later in the project.
If independent client advisers are to be appointed to assist with preparing a more detailed 'strategic brief' and to assess the feasibility of the proposed project, the nature of their role and scope of services may be based on the project description in the statement of need.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The role of HVAC systems in the safe return to work.
CLC provides guidance related to product marks, post-Brexit.
Net zero goals incorporated into plans for a new European Bauhaus.
BREEAM offers its resilient approach to Building Back Better.
Country moves one step closer to creating independent body.
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.
White elephant construction projects.