- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 27 Feb 2018
Statement of need for building design and construction
- A description of the business need that may result in a project.
- An assessment of how it will contribute to the corporate strategy.
- An analysis of the high level options (such as; do something, do nothing, new build, extend, refurbish, relocate, change the way the organisation works, etc).
- A description of the nature of the client, and its history.
- A description of the nature of client's operations.
- Information about existing premises and likely future requirements.
- The assumed budget (and the basis for the budget).
- The assumed programme.
- An assessment of the potential for future changes.
The statement of need is likely to be in a report format, however, where possible, information and requirements should be scheduled in a database or spreadsheet that will be easy to expand and will be easy to use to test whether proposals satisfy requirements later in the project.
If independent client advisers are to be appointed to assist with preparing a more detailed 'strategic brief' and to assess the feasibility of the proposed project, the nature of their role and scope of services may be based on the project description in the statement of need.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The Isle of Man’s naturally-occurring materials and distinctive building techniques.
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.