- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Sep 2015
Reading Construction Forum
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
The Reading Construction Forum (RCF) was an construction industry reform group based at (but independent from) the University of Reading..
Members of the Reading Construction Forum included clients, consultants, contractors, specialist contractors and academic institutions. They were concerned with achieving high quality, change and innovation in the design, construction and use of commercial and industrial buildings, and worked with researchers to identify actions needed to improve the performance of the industry.
The Forum’s objectives were:
- To provide a forum discussion.
- To identify the need for change.
- To disseminate best practice.
- To encourage research and development.
- To improve the international competitiveness of the British and European building industries.
It produced a number of publications, including:
- Trusting the Team: the Best Practice Guide to Partnering in Construction, 1995.
- Financial Protection in the UK Building Industry: A Guide for Clients and the Construction Supply Chain, 1998.
- The seven pillars of partnering, A guide to the second generation of partnering, 1998.
- Value for money, helping the UK afford the buildings it likes, 1996.
In 2003, the Reading Construction Forum merged with the following bodies to form Constructing Excellence:
- Design Build Foundation.
- Construction Best Practice Programme.
- Movement for Innovation.
- Local Government Task Force.
- Rethinking Construction.
- Construction Clients’ Group.
Constructing Excellence (CE) describes itself as ‘…the single organisation charged with driving the change agenda in construction. We exist to improve industry performance in order to produce a better built environment. We are a cross-sector, cross-supply chain, member led organisation operating for the good of industry and its stakeholders.’
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
What should be evaluated to assess building performance?
BIM standards BS 1192:2007+A2:2016 and PAS 1192-2:2013 have been superceded.
What is biophilic design and how can it increase wellbeing?
80 experts come up with the top 7 mistakes the industry makes with BREEAM.
Compliance cannot be verified by inspection on delivery.
Some electric cars have batteries that give a range of over 350 miles.
Assembling, curating, caring for, and designing the future.
A sensitive approach to renovating a building of historic stature.
UK energy policy uncertainty as Welsh project put on hold
What collaborative working achieves and how it can be put in place.
BSRIA publishes the 2019 edition of its small but concise annual databook.
Using QSAND to measure the performance of disaster response.
What U-values are, why they matter and how they are calculated.