- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Sep 2015
Reading Construction Forum
To help develop this article, click ‘Edit this article’ above.
The Reading Construction Forum (RCF) was an construction industry reform group based at (but independent from) the University of Reading..
Members of the Reading Construction Forum included clients, consultants, contractors, specialist contractors and academic institutions. They were concerned with achieving high quality, change and innovation in the design, construction and use of commercial and industrial buildings, and worked with researchers to identify actions needed to improve the performance of the industry.
The Forum’s objectives were:
- To provide a forum discussion.
- To identify the need for change.
- To disseminate best practice.
- To encourage research and development.
- To improve the international competitiveness of the British and European building industries.
It produced a number of publications, including:
- Trusting the Team: the Best Practice Guide to Partnering in Construction, 1995.
- Financial Protection in the UK Building Industry: A Guide for Clients and the Construction Supply Chain, 1998.
- The seven pillars of partnering, A guide to the second generation of partnering, 1998.
- Value for money, helping the UK afford the buildings it likes, 1996.
In 2003, the Reading Construction Forum merged with the following bodies to form Constructing Excellence:
- Design Build Foundation.
- Construction Best Practice Programme.
- Movement for Innovation.
- Local Government Task Force.
- Rethinking Construction.
- Construction Clients’ Group.
Constructing Excellence (CE) describes itself as ‘…the single organisation charged with driving the change agenda in construction. We exist to improve industry performance in order to produce a better built environment. We are a cross-sector, cross-supply chain, member led organisation operating for the good of industry and its stakeholders.’
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The built environment can unlock opportunities for skills.
Additionality is a concept applied to activities and projects.
Some HPL cladding is very unlikely to adequately resist the spread of fire.
What a chartered architectural technologist does.
Building design and construction fees.
The world heritage list has evolved to embrace built, cultural and natural heritage.
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.