- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 02 Feb 2021
RSJ steel in building projects
The environment where a building is going to be, along with the availability of materials can contribute to determining the type of structure that is going to be required. A steel structure with supportive rolled steel joist (RSJ) beams may be selected for several reasons:
- Their stability. The material does not rot as timber beams can.
- These beams offer flexibility in a variety of designs.
- They can withstand damage that intense rain can create and the high winds that generally accompany this type of weather.
- Stores, warehouses, and other commercial and industrial sites are generally built with steel as the look of the material is consistent with these types of structures.
- Steel will not warp in moisture.
- They can be made to order, in an endless array of sizes, shapes, and weights. Although it may take a bit longer to get the desired, customised piece.
- Up front, you may have to pay more, but the structure can last longer, saving money in the long run.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.