Last edited 04 Feb 2021

Main author

Air Tightness Solutions Technologist Website

Part e compliance


[edit] Introduction

In England and Wales the Building Regulations Approved Document E (ADE 2003, as amended), generally referred to as ‘Part E’, contain sound insulation regulations for both new builds and conversions. Under the regulations, buildings must achieve minimum performance standards for airborne and impact sound transmissions.

[edit] Sound insulation requirements

New build properties need to meet the requirements of DnTw+Ctr ≥45dB and LnTw ≤62dB. Conversion properties need to meet the requirements of DnTw+Ctr ≥43dB and LnTw ≤64dB.

Different values apply to rooms used for residential purposes, for example hotels, student halls of residence, and hostels, however these are still covered under Part E.

Property types requiring testing include:

[edit] Airborne sound testing

Airborne sound tests measure the amount of sound transmitted through the air. For example, speech, TV or radio, or pets barking.

Airborne sound insulation tests identify how much of this type of sound gets through the wall or floor. Noise tests use calibrated noise levels in the test room, with noise measurement devices in the surrounding target rooms to measure how much the walls and floor block the noise from travelling to adjacent rooms or properties.

[edit] Impact sound testing

Impact sound tests measure the level of structure-borne sounds – generally footsteps within a residential environment.

This type of test uses an impact source that is calibrated to deliver a measured level of impact in the room being tested. The noise from the impact is measured in the target surrounding rooms.

--Air Tightness Solutions 09:31, 16 Apr 2019 (BST)

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again