- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 28 Dec 2020
PD 7503:2003 Introduction to knowledge management in construction
The end product for the construction industry is generally the delivery of a large, expensive and custom-built facility which relies on the knowledge input of a complex project team including consultants, contractors, sub-contractors and suppliers. Adopting the correct tools and systems for managing the production and sharing of knowledge between members of the project team, can improve results and a reduce the risk of failure.
The British Standards Institution (BSI) suggest that defects in the UK construction industry cost at least £20 billion to repair or rebuild every year and that many defects are the result of the inefficient use and communication of information. Despite this, relatively few companies in the construction industry have embraced knowledge management.
PD 7503:2003 Introduction to Knowledge Management in Construction was published in June 2003 by BSI. It is a concise guide that provides an introduction to and highlights the benefits of knowledge management in the construction industry. It summarises the key issues that an organisation faces when introducing knowledge management and includes case studies which demonstrate the application of knowledge management in large and small construction industry companies. The guide is considered to be more appropriate for small and medium enterprises (SME) and is aimed at the key employee responsible for knowledge management.
The contents of the guide are:
- Scope: The extent and purpose of the document.
- Construction Knowledge Management: An introduction to the topic and its relevance to the construction industry.
- Why should organisations consider knowledge management? A background on how knowledge management can benefit an organisation.
- How should organisations tackle knowledge management? Factors to be considered by an organisation wishing to implement a knowledge management system.
- References and further reading.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Building information modelling.
- CIBSE Case Study: Knowledge is Power.
- Construction industry knowledge standard.
- Knowledge management.
- Knowledge pyramid.
- Modern Built Environment Knowledge Transfer Network MBEKTN.
 External references
Featured articles and news
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.
Cinders and other forms of domestic rubbish created filth but also generated great wealth.
CIC 2050 Group requests input to find out priorities for future industry leaders.
IHBC publishes response to consultation.
Institute applauds funding initiatives but presses for additional retrofit and tax measures.
The switch from analogue to digital has begun.
The fourth industrial revolution is well underway.
Free online resource will offer guidance on conserving places and the planet during COP26.
Government allocates additional money for building new homes on derelict land.