- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 30 Apr 2019
Lockable Gas Springs
Lockable gas springs allow for reliable maintenance of structures and come in a whole range of sizes and forces. A standard lockable gas spring will have a force ranging between 200N to 1000N, strokes from 15mm to 210mm and a number of different release mechanisms.
 Advantages of lockable gas springs
The main advantage that lockable gas springs offer over other types of springs is that they lock in place. Once this type of spring is locked, there is absolutely no room for manoeuvrability, which makes them perfect for a whole host of projects and applications.
 Uses of lockable gas springs
Lockable gas springs are suited to constructions which require significant force. For example, in adjustable tables, chair seats and desks for office equipment. They are also used in many forms of gym machinery, control panels and even in patient’s beds and hospital equipment.
- Flexible rods are resistant when push or pull forces are in play.
- Rigid in tension have no flexibility during pull forces but are flexible during push forces.
- Rigid in compression have no flexibility during push forces but are flexible during pull forces.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Compression vs wave springs.
- Key qualities of springs.
- Spring materials.
- Springs in structures.
- Tension springs v torsion springs.
- Using springs in construction to prevent disaster.
- The Difference Between Tension and Torsion Springs.
- The Uses of Wire Forms Within the Construction Industry.
- Types of spring.
Featured articles and news
Favoured in ancient settlements and garden cities but rejected in Circleville.
ICE seeks exceptional net zero projects.
Proper materials and maintenance can help reduce rust.
Is the construction sector responding to calls for ED&I?
Engineers pay tribute by sharing their memories.
The hidden price of infrastructure.
BREEAM incorporates wellbeing into its Building Back Better programme.
Administration signals policy changes on some building-related issues.
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.