- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 14 Dec 2020
Local development scheme LDS
Local development schemes (LDS) were introduced by the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act which came into force in September 2004. The requirements set out in the Act were amended in 2011 by the introduction of the Localism Act.
Local development schemes are prepared by local planning authorities and set out the programme for preparing the development plan documents (DPD) that will make up the local plan. Local plans create the framework for the future development of an area and are the starting-point for considering whether planning applications should be approved.
- A schedule of development plan documents and supplementary planning documents.
- Information about the subject matter and geographical area to which each document relates.
- Information about which documents have been adopted.
- Details of any documents that will be prepared jointly with other local planning authorities.
- The timetable for the preparation and revision of documents.
- When the local community will be able to become involved in the process.
Local planning authorities are required to submit a local development scheme to the Secretary of State who may direct them to make amendments to the scheme to ensure effective coverage of the authority's area by the development plan documents.
The local planning authority must make available to the public:
- The up-to-date text of the scheme.
- A copy of any amendments made to the scheme.
- Up-to-date information showing the state of the authority's compliance (or non-compliance) with the timetable.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Authority monitoring report.
- Development plan.
- Development plan documents.
- Duty to cooperate.
- Green belt planning practice guidance.
- Local development framework.
- Local plan.
- Neighbourhood plan.
- Planning authorities.
- Planning permission.
- Safeguarding land.
- Skeffington Report.
- Supplementary planning documents.
- The London Plan.
Featured articles and news
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.
Additional support being offered to job seekers with autism.