Last edited 20 Oct 2020

Draught diverter v draught stabiliser

According to Approved document J, Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems:

A draught diverter is a form of draught break intended to prevent conditions in the main length of flue from interfering with the combustion performance of an open-flued appliance. It allows the appliance to operate without interference from down-draughts that may occur in adverse wind conditions and excessive draught.

A draught stabiliser is a factory-made counter-balanced flap device admitting air to the flue, from the same space as the combustion air, to prevent excessive variations in the draught. It is usual for these to be in the fluepipe or chimney, but they may be located on the appliance.

Draught diverter v draught stabiliser.jpg

NB A 'draught break' is an opening formed by a factory-made component into any part of the flue serving an open-flued appliance. Such openings may be provided to allow dilution air to be drawn into a flue or to lessen the effects of down-draught on combustion in the appliance.

[edit] Find out more

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again