- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 11 Jan 2018
Delivering low carbon infrastructure
- There is no specific whole life carbon target for infrastructure that organisations or projects can work towards.
- There is wide variation in the ambition, duration and scope of the targets currently being set.
- There is no single method used by all the surveyed clients to set their carbon targets.
- Regulators play a role in addressing carbon, but are not explicit in setting targets for carbon reductions or for driving performance.
Based on the findings, UK-GBC recommends the establishment of a whole life carbon target based on climate science and from which organisations can derive commensurate targets. The monitoring of such a target, and the reporting of progress against it, will be crucial.
The report was prepared with support from Atkins, CEEQUAL, Ferrovial Agroman, Osborne, Skanska and Responsible Solutions, and has been endorsed by the influential ICE Infrastructure Client Group. The group, which is chaired by Tideway CEO Andy Mitchell CBE, features C-suite level representation from the biggest infrastructure client organisations in the UK.
Julie Hirigoyen, Chief Executive, UK-GBC said:
“I’m pleased that UK-GBC has been able to provide the industry with a lucid view on carbon target setting in infrastructure. There is a great deal of support for setting a carbon target, based on climate science, for this part of the built environment, and I hope this report provides the catalyst for achieving this.”
“Carbon is a key concern in infrastructure. Clients across all infrastructure sectors are taking action to reduce emissions, but we must ensure our actions go far enough to tackle the challenge that lies ahead. It is clear that the setting of an industry-wide carbon target for infrastructure, as recommended in this report, is essential. This will ensure we have a clear trajectory to a low-carbon future, in line with climate science.”
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building Places that Work for Everyone.
- Interview with Julie Hirigoyen, UK-GBC.
- Low carbon construction IGT.
- Sustainable development: energy challenge.
- The role of local leadership in creating sustainable homes.
- UK Green Building Council.
- UKGBC BREEAM 2014 consultation workshop.
- World Green Building Council.
Featured articles and news
New Wiki site is set to make BIM mainstream.
The various types and everything else.
Building legislation and guidance updates.
Designing offices to benefit employee performance.
And the award winners for 2019 are...
Articles of agreement
Guidance for local authorities and consultancies setting planning conditions.
A real deal – at last?
How does anastylosis help in the reconstructing of ancient monuments?
More than just aesthetic and historic values and meanings.