- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 18 Jan 2021
Delivering low carbon infrastructure
- There is no specific whole life carbon target for infrastructure that organisations or projects can work towards.
- There is wide variation in the ambition, duration and scope of the targets currently being set.
- There is no single method used by all the surveyed clients to set their carbon targets.
- Regulators play a role in addressing carbon, but are not explicit in setting targets for carbon reductions or for driving performance.
Based on the findings, UK-GBC recommends the establishment of a whole life carbon target based on climate science and from which organisations can derive commensurate targets. The monitoring of such a target, and the reporting of progress against it, will be crucial.
The report was prepared with support from Atkins, CEEQUAL, Ferrovial Agroman, Osborne, Skanska and Responsible Solutions, and has been endorsed by the influential ICE Infrastructure Client Group. The group, which is chaired by Tideway CEO Andy Mitchell CBE, features C-suite level representation from the biggest infrastructure client organisations in the UK.
Julie Hirigoyen, Chief Executive, UK-GBC said:
“I’m pleased that UK-GBC has been able to provide the industry with a lucid view on carbon target setting in infrastructure. There is a great deal of support for setting a carbon target, based on climate science, for this part of the built environment, and I hope this report provides the catalyst for achieving this.”
“Carbon is a key concern in infrastructure. Clients across all infrastructure sectors are taking action to reduce emissions, but we must ensure our actions go far enough to tackle the challenge that lies ahead. It is clear that the setting of an industry-wide carbon target for infrastructure, as recommended in this report, is essential. This will ensure we have a clear trajectory to a low-carbon future, in line with climate science.”
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building Places that Work for Everyone.
- Interview with Julie Hirigoyen, UK-GBC.
- Low carbon construction IGT.
- Sustainable development: energy challenge.
- The role of local leadership in creating sustainable homes.
- UK Green Building Council.
- UKGBC BREEAM 2014 consultation workshop.
- World Green Building Council.
Featured articles and news
BG 50 & VDI 2035 – your questions answered.
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?