- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Jul 2015
In July 1997, a new Construction Confederation was launched as an umbrella organisation for:
- The National Federation of Builders (NFB);
- The Major Contractors Group (MCG)
- The National Contractors Federation (NCF)
- The Civil Engineering Contractors Association (CECA)
- The Scottish Building Employers Federation (SBEF)
- The British Woodworking Federation (BWF)
- The Federation of Building Specialist Contractors (FBSC)
- The House Builders Federation (HBF).
- Building Employers Confederation.
Their mission was:
- To represent the common interests of constituent organisations.
- To negotiate appropriate agreements on behalf of constituent organisations and represent their interests in pan-industry bodies.
- To provide information and advice to member companies.
- To promote the interests of the industry.
Its first President was Martin Laing, chairman of John Laing plc.
Chief executive, Ian Deslandes, said: This new organisation will provide a unified and much more powerful voice with which to speak on behalf of one of Britain's largest and most important industries. It will enable construction, which accounts for half of Britain's total annual investment and is the largest single industry employer of labour; to punch its full weight in the quarters that matter. We are creating an entirely new organisation which will anticipate and meet our industry's needs in the 21st century.
A £20m whole was then discovered in its pension fund, and in 2009, A judge has ordered that the Construction Confederation be wound-up so that its 500 employees could receive compensation. At the time, its Westminster headquarters building was believed to be worth up to £3m.
Featured articles and news
Avoiding 'winner's curse' and other useful info.
Interfacing with facilities management.
Developing test methods for video flame/smoke detectors
Waiting for a new deal ...but will funding materialise?
Our servers have reached another milestone. Why not write an article and be seen by our 6.5 million users.
RSHP celebrates competition win in Paris.
All about approved inspectors.
Whilst apparently confusing, German conservation is actually not that different.
The rise and fall of council housing. Book review.
Drivers of change in global heating markets.
11 interesting facts about the use and nature of the material.