- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 02 Dec 2020
In July 1997, a new Construction Confederation was launched as an umbrella organisation for:
- The National Federation of Builders (NFB);
- The Major Contractors Group (MCG)
- The National Contractors Federation (NCF)
- The Civil Engineering Contractors Association (CECA)
- The Scottish Building Employers Federation (SBEF)
- The British Woodworking Federation (BWF)
- The Federation of Building Specialist Contractors (FBSC)
- The House Builders Federation (HBF).
- Building Employers Confederation.
Their mission was:
- To represent the common interests of constituent organisations.
- To negotiate appropriate agreements on behalf of constituent organisations and represent their interests in pan-industry bodies.
- To provide information and advice to member companies.
- To promote the interests of the industry.
Its first President was Martin Laing, chairman of John Laing plc.
Chief executive, Ian Deslandes, said: This new organisation will provide a unified and much more powerful voice with which to speak on behalf of one of Britain's largest and most important industries. It will enable construction, which accounts for half of Britain's total annual investment and is the largest single industry employer of labour; to punch its full weight in the quarters that matter. We are creating an entirely new organisation which will anticipate and meet our industry's needs in the 21st century.
A £20m whole was then discovered in its pension fund, and in 2009, A judge has ordered that the Construction Confederation be wound-up so that its 500 employees could receive compensation. At the time, its Westminster headquarters building was believed to be worth up to £3m.
Featured articles and news
Myths and top tips.
CLC plans to ease impact of construction inflation.
BG 50 & VDI 2035 – your questions answered.
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.