- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 19 Feb 2020
Community infrastructure levy commencement notice
Section 8 of the Community Infrastructure Levy Regulations 2010 requires that, for chargeable developments, the persons liable to pay the community infrastructure levy must submit a notice to the collecting authority setting out when development is going to start. This is referred to as a ‘commencement notice’.
The collecting authority must receive the commencement notice at least one day before development is due to commence. Otherwise, the parties may be liable for a surcharge and may not be permitted to pay by instalments.
- Be submitted in writing on a form published by the Secretary of State (or a form to substantially the same effect).
- Identify the liability notice issued in respect of the chargeable development.
- State the intended commencement date of the chargeable development.
- Include the other particulars specified or referred to in the form.
If a collecting authority knows development has commenced, but has not received a commencement notice, or has received a notice, but considers that the development began earlier, it may determine when the development commenced. This is known as the 'deemed commencement date'.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Community Infrastructure Levy.
- Economic viability.
- Localism act.
- National Planning Policy Framework.
- Planning permission.
- Planning conditions.
- Planning obligations.
- Review announced of the Community Infrastructure Levy.
- The Community Infrastructure Levy (Amendment) Regulations 2014.
- Viability test.
- What approvals are needed before construction begins.
Featured articles and news
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.
New Government task force will build beauty into reformed planning process.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.