Bidding for renovation works
For more information, see the main article about Renovation.
The term ‘renovation’ refers to the process of returning something to a good state of repair. In the construction industry, renovation refers to the process of improving or modernising an old, damaged or defective building. It is common that buildings requiring renovation work are sold at auction.
Bidding for renovation works can be daunting, and careful preparation should be undertaken to be sure that the project has a chance of being both feasible and profitable should the bid be successful.
It is sensible to sit in on a different auction before attending the auction for the property of interest. This is useful in order to get an understanding for how the process works. The property itself should be thoroughly researched before the auction, to avoid the chances of being surprised by potentially costly issues post-purchase.
The regular conveyancing work should be commissioned in order to check the site boundaries, titles and raise any questions with the vendor’s solicitor. It might be deemed worthwhile or necessary to commission a survey. This will all involve a financial investment prior to the auction, so the process should not be undertaken lightly.
Financial arrangement will need to be in place before the auction, to ensure that the required 10% deposit is available on the day of the auction when, if successful, contracts will be signed. The remaining 90% is usually required within 28 days. It will be necessary to check the required payment methods of the auctioneers to ensure compliance.
It is also worth having a ‘ceiling’ amount that represents the maximum figure that will be bid on the property, to avoid getting carried away on the day and committing to a higher amount.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Green paper published for consultation.
Mental health issues effect 80% of construction workers. Read our interview with the founders of a new wellbeing initiative.
Would Stephenson be disappointed by the lack of progress on the high speed transport of Hyperloop?
The immersive pop-up cinema experience that could revolutionise on-site health and safety training.
5 out of 10 filtering facepieces fail HSE tests.
Eleven Magazine announce the winner and runners-up in their Moontopia competition.
As January is the time for hitting the gym, Designing Buildings Wiki lists the best gym architecture in the world.
London is at the top of the list of global construction megacities, beating Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
What are the innovative business models of the future, and how to incentivise supply chains to work on a whole life basis?