- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 15 Nov 2021
Acrylics in construction
Acrylics generally have good optical clarity, scratch resistance, dimensional stability and rigidity. They do not deteriorate in sunlight and they have good adhesion, are thermoplastic, easy to form and easy to cut. However, they are combustible, are not flexible, suffer from stress cracking and are not resistant to solvents.
- Transparent or translucent sheeting such as acrylic glass (‘Plexiglass’ or ‘Perspex’).
- Opaque cladding and panel materials.
- Resins, sealants, adhesives and adhesive tapes
- Flashing materials.
- Concretes, mortars, renders and asphalt.
- Architectural fabrics.
- Baths, shower trays and sinks.
- Coatings for metals, concrete and masonry.
- Flooring and carpets.
- Light fixtures.
- LCD screens.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Expanded polystyrene.
- Fabric structures.
- Glass reinforced plastic GRP.
- India looks at using plastic instead of sand.
- Polyvinyl chloride.
- Thermoplastic materials in buildings.
- Transparent insulation materials.
Featured articles and news
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.