- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2015
Patterns was an occasional, in-house technical journal published by Buro Happold between 1987 and 2011. There were 16 editions of Patterns and 2 special issues.
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Patterns 3 was published in August 1988.
The contents of Patterns 3 are:
- John Morrison, C.Eng, FICE, Fl.Struct. By E Peter Buckthorp.
- The Design of Ground Slabs for Industrial Buildings. By John Morrison.
- New British Embassy and Housing, Riyadh. By Ian Liddell.
- Ocean Village - Regeneration of Princess Alexandra Dock, Southampton. By Rod Macdonald, Vincent Grant, Robin Clark and Peter Moseley.
- The Theatre as a Built Form. By Michael Dickson and Peter Moseley.
Patterns is reproduced with the kind permission of --Buro Happold.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 12: July 1997.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
Room data sheets are used to communicate the client’s requirements for each room on a project.
Earth's resources being consumed in ever greater volumes as symbolic 'overshoot' day moves forward again.
Full-scale review of fire safety guidance announced for the autumn.
The Isle of Man’s naturally-occurring materials and distinctive building techniques.
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.