- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
About Institute of Historic Building Conservation
The mark of the conservation professional
Institute / association
The IHBC is the professional body for building conservation practitioners and historic environment experts working in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, with connections to the Republic of Ireland.
The Institute exists to establish, develop and maintain the highest standards of conservation practice, to support the effective protection and enhancement of the historic environment, and to promote heritage-led regeneration and access to the historic environment for all.
IHBC’s values include:
- Managing change: Helping historic places thrive by accommodating change and adapting for the future while providing continuity with the past.
- Heritage-led regeneration: Assisting tourism and promoting local economic diversity through developing the historic environment.
- Sustainable development: Preserving resources and minimising carbon emissions associated with demolition and redevelopment.
- Design: Appreciating that historic places are the inspiration for the great architecture of the future.
- Valuing heritage: Caring for historic buildings and places that have their own intrinsic cultural, social, educational and spiritual value.
For more details, see The Institute of Historic Building Conservation.
Featured articles and news
The London Build Expo is hosting a Diversity in Construction panel and networking session on October 24.
Analysis can help develop a specification, but must not lead to inappropriate specifications being accepted.
Dos and don'ts for creating a smart home.
New ICE publication recommends pay-as-you-go tax to fund roads and other financing options.
BSRIA launches a White Paper on wearable technology and wellbeing in buildings.
Have the pressures of the market shredded the core values of professionalism?
Lead times are a measure of the amount of time that elapses between initiating and completing a construction process.
Government releases first tranche of funding for removal of unsafe high-rise cladding.
How to ensure UK transport infrastructure copes with severe winter weather.