The Retention of Women in the UK Construction Industry
Despite the increasing supply of female graduates from construction related degrees almost in parity with the number of males from the focus on recruitment, there is still a lack of women represented in the construction workforce upon graduation which are retained. It has been found there is a high drop-out rate in the first few years for young women in the construction industry. There has been increasing awareness on the issue of the low number of female construction professionals and numerous initiatives have been introduced to encourage representation. This dissertation highlights the initiatives and policies in place which aid the retention of early stage women in construction. Significant contributors to the retention of early stage women included mentoring, flexible working and training which increased motivation to remain in the industry, but the culture was a significant barrier to retention. The findings from a qualitative approach enabled recommendations for improving the retention of early stage women, which could be applied to all types of companies in the construction industry.
--Monisha Sandhu 19:16, 29 Jul 2020 (BST)
Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Diversity, social value and skills
- Building People 'Network of Networks'
 Join in
Building People is bringing together the huge amount of resource that exists across the Built Environment industry, with a focus on diversity and inclusion, skills and careers, and social value.
We need your help to do this.
Have you got useful material to share? Do you know of information that would be helpful to others? If it is relevant to the Built Environment and to diversity, skills and social value, then it's relevant to others. Help them find it by using the guidelines below.
 Add your own content
- For guidance about writing and adding your own content see Get started - top tips and help.
- Some articles are more popular and useful than others. This article explains more.
- Make sure you use the right title as this helps search engines find it. See here for guidance.
- Add your signature to link readers to your profile.
- Tick the 'People' box when you submit the article - that way your content will appear in this Building People microsite.