Self-build home: Occupy the home and rectify any defects
A meeting should be held to formally handover the completed site for occupation. Keys should be handed over, along with as-built drawings, certificates, warranties and so on.
A procedure should be agreed for reporting any defects.
The defects liability period (or rectification period) is a period set out in construction contracts (often 6 months) during which contractors are still bound by the terms of the contract and can be instructed to make good any defects that become apparent in the works.
The self builder should:
- Keep detailed notes about any defects that appear.
- Decide whether defects are design deficiencies or construction defects.
- Notify the responsible party and arrange access for inspection and rectification.
- At the end of the defects liability period, prepare a schedule listing defects that have not yet been rectified and agree with the contractor the date by which they will be rectified. The contractor must in any event rectify defects within a 'reasonable' time.
- Ensure that all outstanding warranties, instructions and other paperwork has been received.
- Finalise any outstanding party wall matters.
- Arrange final inspections of the works and if satisfied issue a certificate of making good defects.
- Agree the final account.
- Issue the final certificate and make the final payment.
If you have ideas for how to improve this plan, you can make changes yourself, just by clicking 'Edit this article', you can add ideas to the discussion page, you can submit a comment to us, or you can email [email protected].
Featured articles and news
We review a book aiming to unpick the complexities of building physics.
An introduction to the categories, procedures and types of listed buildings.
This Australian robotics firm have developed a bricklaying machine capable of building a house in 3 days.
20bn devices will be online by 2020, generating huge volumes of information. Is society making the most of this rich data?
Built over a period of 632 years, Cologne Cathedral is considered one of the world's finest examples of Gothic architecture.
UandI adds £1.5bn to development pipeline.
Here are 5 things leaders can do to create a truly circular economy.
Find out about the different types of delays on construction projects.
Researchers at Wien university have developed new system to create an inflatable concrete structure.
Take a look at this newly-opened tower in Chicago with a remarkable 20:1 height-to-base ratio.
The principles, practice and formwork of one of the most important components of modern architecture.