Self-build home: Occupy the home and rectify any defects
A meeting should be held to formally handover the completed site for occupation. Keys should be handed over, along with as-built drawings, certificates, warranties and so on.
A procedure should be agreed for reporting any defects.
The defects liability period (or rectification period) is a period set out in construction contracts (often 6 months) during which contractors are still bound by the terms of the contract and can be instructed to make good any defects that become apparent in the works.
The self builder should:
- Keep detailed notes about any defects that appear.
- Decide whether defects are design deficiencies or construction defects.
- Notify the responsible party and arrange access for inspection and rectification.
- At the end of the defects liability period, prepare a schedule listing defects that have not yet been rectified and agree with the contractor the date by which they will be rectified. The contractor must in any event rectify defects within a 'reasonable' time.
- Ensure that all outstanding warranties, instructions and other paperwork has been received.
- Finalise any outstanding party wall matters.
- Arrange final inspections of the works and if satisfied issue a certificate of making good defects.
- Agree the final account.
- Issue the final certificate and make the final payment.
If you have ideas for how to improve this plan, you can make changes yourself, just by clicking 'Edit this article', you can add ideas to the discussion page, you can submit a comment to us, or you can email [email protected].
Featured articles and news
Eleven Magazine announce the winner and runners-up in their Moontopia competition.
As January is the time for hitting the gym, Designing Buildings Wiki lists the best gym architecture in the world.
London is at the top of the list of global construction megacities, beating Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
What are the innovative business models of the future, and how to incentivise supply chains to work on a whole life basis?
One of the largest churches in the world, the monumental St. Peter's Basilica.
How thermal comfort is quantified and how it can affect wellbeing.
Snøhetta complete a treehouse cabin that allows guests to lie beneath the Northern Lights.
Christiania is an anarchist 'freetown' in Copenhagen where strange and experimental architecture has flourished.
“UK waste data needs improving” say BRE specialists, in this summary of their report into construction waste.
UandI announce new joint venture with US developer to work on office refurbishment projects.
Why buildings crack, how cracks are categorised and what can be done.
Inaugurated last week, the new Elbphilharmonie concert venue; a soaring new addition to Hamburg's skyline.