- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 14 Dec 2020
Self-build home: Occupy the home and rectify any defects
A procedure should be agreed for reporting any defects.
The defects liability period (or rectification period) is a period set out in construction contracts (often 6 months) during which contractors are still bound by the terms of the contract and can be instructed to make good any defects that become apparent in the works.
The self builder should:
- Keep detailed notes about any defects that appear.
- Decide whether defects are design deficiencies or construction defects.
- Notify the responsible party and arrange access for inspection and rectification.
- At the end of the defects liability period, prepare a schedule listing defects that have not yet been rectified and agree with the contractor the date by which they will be rectified. The contractor must in any event rectify defects within a 'reasonable' time.
- Ensure that all outstanding warranties, instructions and other paperwork has been received.
- Finalise any outstanding party wall matters.
- Arrange final inspections of the works and if satisfied issue a certificate of making good defects.
- Agree the final account.
- Issue the final certificate and make the final payment.
If you have ideas for how to improve this plan, you can make changes yourself, just by clicking 'Edit this article', you can add ideas to the discussion page, you can submit a comment to us, or you can email uk [email protected]uk.
Featured articles and news
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.
Help us update process pieces from your field.
APM report explores existing practice.
COVID-19 and the importance of mental wellbeing.
As Professionally Qualified Person (PQP).
In order of relevance and with industry responses.
Raising awareness of the impacts of loneliness.
The list is growing, and in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t build new, If we can’t maintain what's built.
Timber Accelerator Hub phase 1 report