- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 14 Dec 2020
Self-build home: Occupy the home and rectify any defects
A procedure should be agreed for reporting any defects.
The defects liability period (or rectification period) is a period set out in construction contracts (often 6 months) during which contractors are still bound by the terms of the contract and can be instructed to make good any defects that become apparent in the works.
The self builder should:
- Keep detailed notes about any defects that appear.
- Decide whether defects are design deficiencies or construction defects.
- Notify the responsible party and arrange access for inspection and rectification.
- At the end of the defects liability period, prepare a schedule listing defects that have not yet been rectified and agree with the contractor the date by which they will be rectified. The contractor must in any event rectify defects within a 'reasonable' time.
- Ensure that all outstanding warranties, instructions and other paperwork has been received.
- Finalise any outstanding party wall matters.
- Arrange final inspections of the works and if satisfied issue a certificate of making good defects.
- Agree the final account.
- Issue the final certificate and make the final payment.
If you have ideas for how to improve this plan, you can make changes yourself, just by clicking 'Edit this article', you can add ideas to the discussion page, you can submit a comment to us, or you can email uk [email protected]uk.
Featured articles and news
The contentious nature of claims associated with cladding, fire safety and EWS1 forms.
ECA comments on low-carbon heating systems initiative and Heat and Buildings Strategy.
Cinders and other forms of domestic rubbish created filth but also generated great wealth.
CIC 2050 Group requests input to find out priorities for future industry leaders.
IHBC publishes response to consultation.
Institute applauds funding initiatives but presses for additional retrofit and tax measures.
The switch from analogue to digital has begun.
The fourth industrial revolution is well underway.
Free online resource will offer guidance on conserving places and the planet during COP26.