- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Sep 2014
Indemnity to principals
Indemnity to principals provisions in contractor’s insurance policies provide cover for the client (the principal) in the event that the contractor is negligent and this results in a claim against the client. This may be a requirement of a construction contract, and contractors must check with their insurers that their policy include this sort of provision for the type of project that they are undertaking.
The requirement may be satisfied by a separate indemnity, or by extending the contractor’s own policy to indemnify the principal as if they were the insured, in which case, the policy will pay out if a claim is made against the principal as a result of work carried out by the contractor, as if the claim was being made against the contractor themselves.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 3D animation for insurance risk analysis.
- Building Users' Insurance Against Latent Defects.
- Contractors' all-risk insurance.
- Contract works insurance.
- Directors and officers insurance.
- Employers’ liability insurance
- Flood insurance.
- Insurance for building design and construction.
- Integrated project insurance.
- Latent defects insurance.
- Legal indemnities.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance.
- Public liability insurance.
- Residual value insurance.
Featured articles and news
What to bear in mind when claiming damages in construction.
How do we achieve sustainable clean-water infrastructure for all?
What you should know when appointing an architect.
A brief history plus some new developments.
How computational fluid dynamics (CFD) helps building design.
The Hong Kong Harbour Area Treatment Scheme (HATS).
'Expressions of interest' for construction contracts.
Dame Judith Hackitt confirmed as keynote speaker – one year on from the Hackitt Report. Save £100 on tickets.
House of Lords committee calls for investment in housing, transport, education and infrastructure.
Supporting assets that are crucial to achieving business goals. Free download.
We've created a custom search engine for the construction industry. Let us know what you think.