IHBC Context 144
Context, the Institute of Historic Building Conservation's membership journal and key heritage sector resource offers contents that span the full spectrum of practices and principles, as well as sector updates: reports, reviews, events, briefings and more.
IHBC Director Seán O’Reilly said: ‘We’ll put this issue online immediately, to help extend conservation awareness as far as possible. That said, the most accessible way learn to about conservation principles, practice and thinking is to explore this issue in hard copy, as an IHBC member.’
‘From now on we’ll also be using social media posts to help people focus on CPD and accreditation issues too, so there’s an easier route to the skills covering our Areas of Competence. Already we give pointers like these in our events postings, but now we are extending this service to Context.’
- More about local listing, with PlaceCheck, or WHS fires… or pub values.
- Periodically: Distilled heritage periodicals from Bob Kindred IHBC and 2013 Student Awardee Lisa McIntyre on medieval bishops’ palaces in the JAC.
- Aimée Felton, IHBC’s first Associate Member, on Restoring Kew’s Temperate House.
- Scaffolding – ups and downs: Interventions, covering technology competences and more
- HGV vibrations – time for re-assessment, says Champion.
- Conservation in the round with high points of high Streets: ‘Putting shops to viable uses consistent with their conservation should seek to encourage maximum use of the building for modern purposes, while also maximising the heritage value.’
- Richard Bate on conservation services and officers: ‘The paltry savings on modest salaries seems wholly misplaced in relation to the potential benefits of retaining and augmenting conservation staff.
The support will create dozens of opportunities in heritage repair and construction and waterways management, funded by the Department for Work and Pensions.
The 2021 edition of the Building Conservation Directory, also available online, has been published. Find skilled trades specialising in work to historic and traditional buildings.
BT has revealed that almost 4,000 of its iconic red phone boxes across the UK are available for local communities to adopt for just £1.
On 26 March the IHBC, led by Prof. John Edwards, hosted a free one-hour CPD webinar ‘Introduction to Building Survey for Retrofit’ for sector professionals.
Greg Clark, writing an opinion piece for RICS, explores how good governance in cities pays dividends.
The Architectural Heritage Fund has issued a report on the first year of its ‘Transforming Places Through Heritage’ grants programme, funded by DCMS.
Europe’s star cities are scattered all over Europe but their perfect geometrical beauty can only be fully admired when seen from above.
The freely available Insight 1 series targets a wide range of cohorts who wish to gain an appreciation of practical heritage conservation.
The restoration and renewal of the Palace of Westminster is of ‘paramount importance’ according to the recent strategic review.
The IHBC's monthly CPD Circular showcases upcoming Events, Awards, Placements, Bursaries & Scholarships, Calls for Papers and more from across the UK and beyond.