- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Feb 2018
Housing implementation taskforce
On 3 June 2015 Oliver Letwin MP published an updated cabinet committees list in which the creation of 10 Implementation Taskforces was announced to monitor and drive delivery of the government’s most important priorities. This included the creation of a housing implementation taskforce. Ref Cabinet Committees and Implementation Taskforces membership list.
Cabinet committees are groups of ministers that can make binding decisions for the government. They are created by the Prime Minister to reduce the burden of decision making on the Cabinet by enabling decisions to be taken by a smaller group of ministers.
- Track progress.
- Spot potential problems and blockages and agree plans for resolving them.
- Maintain momentum and ensure accountability.
- Make sure that actions are followed through.
Implementation taskforces report to the Prime Minister and Cabinet on a regular basis.
The terms of reference for the housing implementation taskforce are:
"To drive efforts to increase the supply of new housing; helping first-time buyers onto the property ladder; implementing Right to Buy and driving public sector land sales."
It is chaired by Greg Clark MP, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, and its initial membership is:
- Sajid Javid MP, Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills.
- Liz Truss MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Patrick McLoughlin MP, Secretary of State for Transport.
- Oliver Letwin MP, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.
- Greg Hands MP, Chief Secretary to the Treasury.
- Matt Hancock MP, Minister for the Cabinet Office, Paymaster General.
- Brandon Lewis MP, Minister of State for Communities and Local Government.
- Mark Lancaster MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State and Minister for Defence Personnel, Welfare and Veterans.
- Lord Prior of Brampton, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for NHS Productivity.
Ref List of Cabinet Committees and their members as at 3 June 2015.
See also National Housing Taskforce.
Featured articles and news
The complex situation where events occur at the same time.
How can Latin America and the Caribbean unlock the digital potential of their new and existing built environment?
CIOB publish a new code of estimating practice.
These relate to a programme where each activity is allocated a price and interim payments made against completion.
Police testing finds that flat door could only withstand fire for half its designed time.
Have a look at these images from a new photography book of buildings being reclaimed by nature.
What does the phrase 'demised premises' mean? Find out here in our introductory article.
New good practice guidance looks at the best way to deliver multi-functional solar car parks.
Philip Hammond suggests the public finances have reached a turning point.
The fifth annual ICE-Topcon lecture looked at how to balance smart technology and security.
Support grows for the Construction (Retention Deposit Schemes) Bill.