- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 29 Jan 2019
The lease should set out:
- The amount of the ground rent.
- The payment dates (usually annual).
- The circumstances under which the ground rent can be increased.
Ground rent is only payable when the landlord asks for it formally, setting out:
- The name of the leaseholder.
- The period covered.
- The amount.
- The name and address of the freeholder.
- The name and address of the managing agent if payment is to be made to them.
- The due date.
- 'Notes for Leaseholders' informing leaseholders of their rights and responsibilities.
As ground rent is typically very low, some landlords can fail to collect it, however, they can only recover it going back 6 years.
If a leaseholder extends a lease under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 they then only have to pay a ‘peppercorn rent’ effectively a ground rent of nothing. If a lease is extended by negotiation ground rent may still be payable.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Break clauses in leases.
- Built to suit.
- Buy-to-let mortgage.
- Housing tenure.
- Lease Negotiations - Tenants Checklist.
- Licence to alter.
- Peppercorn rent.
- Property guardianship.
- Rent-free period.
- Rent review.
- Schedule of dilapidations.
- Scott schedule.
- Service charge.
- Vacant possession.
- What is a mortgage?
 External references
- The Leasehold Advisory Service. Service charges and other charges.
- Shelter. Ground rent.
Featured articles and news
What future infrastructure provision might look like.
Highlighting the health benefits of home improvement.
Pavilions for music, entertainment, and leisure. Book review.
Broadening our understanding of Dublin’s chequered social history.
The charm of London's Cabmen's shelters.
Future Weather Files research tool looking for feedback.
Exploring the Colour Rendering Index.
Why it's important to find out what went wrong.
ECA reviews the shape of the construction job market.
Why proper room acoustics make a difference.
Initiative puts gas networks on the path to net zero.
WICE Woman Architectural Technologist of the Year 2019.
Traditional low-energy approaches to comfort.
Revisiting the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet in Ashford.
USA In-Use Version 6 is now available.
The rise of architectural barbarism.
In contentious political contexts heritage can be more fractious.