- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 03 Jul 2019
Bowen Jenkins Legacy Research Fund
In March 2015, the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) announced that a new fund, the Bowen Jenkins Legacy Research Fund, was open for applications.
The fund was established to enable the CIOB to support research projects in the built environment. It is intended to sponsor research relating to the quality of the built environment and the efficiency of the delivery process, to promote research to advance best practice, to support further knowledge development and support individuals in their career development.
Research subjects must be related to one of five areas:
- Sustainability in the built environment – especially in terms of the challenges posed to organisations and clients in meeting sustainability targets.
- Corporate social responsibility as applied to construction firms.
- Zero carbon - defining what this is and how to meet current targets.
- The application of digital technologies to the design, construction and operation of built facilities, including BIM and emerging innovative practices.
- Employment practices in the construction sector.
CIOB said, ‘We believe that constant research and development are essential requirements of construction professionals. Research not only allows individuals to question accepted practice, but also develops a culture of innovation and improvement.’
The fund is open to CIOB members and non-members internationally. Applications can be from individuals or individuals on behalf of their companies. The amount awarded for each research project is limited to between £2,000 and £10,000 for a duration of 1-2 years.
The application closing date was Friday 26 June 2015.
Featured articles and news
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.