- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2015
Considered seminal at the time, Patterns had a significant influence on engineering for several decades. Patterns is reproduced here with the kind permission of Buro Happold because of its historical interest and the impact it has had on the development of engineering theory.
Patterns 12 was published in July 1997 to commemorate the life of Ted Happold.
The contents of Patterns 12 are:
- Citation: Honourary Doctor of Engineering
- On Being An Engineer.
- Early Life and Work at Ove Arup & Partners.
- 1976-96 His time at Buro Happold.
- Sir Basil Spence.
- Trevor Dannatt.
- Lambeth - Ted Hollamby et al.
- Rolf Gutbrod.
- Frei Otto.
- Beaubourg 1971-76.
- Mannheim Bundesgartenschau (Garden Festival), 1974-75.
- The Role of the Engineer.
- Engineering Design Research.
- Engineering Design Research - Roundwood Timber.
- Lightweight Structures Research.
- Research into Environmental Engineering.
- Projects in the World of Islam.
- Ted Happold's Legacy.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Patterns 1: October 1987.
- Patterns 2: April 1988.
- Patterns 3: August 1988.
- Patterns 4: November 1988.
- Patterns 5: May 1989.
- Patterns 6: July 1990.
- Patterns 7: December 1990.
- Patterns 8: May 1991.
- Patterns 9: October 1991.
- Patterns 10: December 1991.
- Patterns 11: August 1993.
- Patterns 13: March 2001.
- Patterns 14: March 2005.
- Patterns: Ground Source Energy. 2008.
- Patterns: Specialist Consulting, 2007.
- Patterns 15: Autumn / Winter 2010.
- Patterns 16: Autumn / Winter 2011.
Featured articles and news
Have the pressures of the market shredded the core values of professionalism?
Lead times are a measure of the amount of time that elapses between initiating and completing a construction process.
Government releases first tranche of funding for removal of unsafe high-rise cladding.
How to ensure UK transport infrastructure copes with severe winter weather.
Location shortlist for controversial new footbridge revealed.
Under the Party Wall Act a property owner has the legal right to do works that might otherwise constitute trespass or nuisance.
BSRIA examine the 'unpredictable' 2018 global air conditioning market.
ICE publish new report calling for new sector-wide body to help avert structural failures.
The rainbow JCB will be making a welcome return to the London Build Expo on 23 and 24 October at Olympia.
An introductory article to external works - all activities carried out to the external environment of a building project.