Top ten tips for building design and construction projects
Top ten tips for the perfect project
If you disagree with our top tips:
- Click on "discussion" above then edit the discussion page and add your tips.
- Or click on "submit comment" at the bottom of the page and send us your ideas.
1. Set it up properly right at the beginning. You won't have time later.
2. You can't do it all yourself. Pick the right people to help you and reward them for success.
3. Make sure you know what you want. Changes get more expensive as you go on.
5. Know whether you want quality, low cost or speed. If you want a great building and fast; expect to pay for it.
6. Design fees are a bad place to make savings.
During the life of a building:
7. Manage your stakeholders. Focus your attention on the vocal people who can most affect the project and may be against it.
9. Make sure you have a realistic contingency. But don’t tell anyone about it.
10. If it's not working out, make changes, or walk away.
Featured articles and news
With a new government consultation underway, ICE look at creating a smarter, more flexible energy system.
International Ethics Standards Coalition publishes first set of ethics principles for built environment professionals.
British Antarctic Survey announces research station is to relocate 23km due to growing crack in the ice shelf.
A great example of mimetic architecture with the Fish Building of India.
Could e-bikes be a solution to congested and polluted urban centres?
Government publishes details of £500bn investment pipeline in infrastructure, described as the 'most comprehensive ever'.
Top of new skyscraper trimmed down by 30m to avoid interfering with City Airport flights.
A new concept unveiled to tackle the lack of sports facilities in inner cities.
'Open hand' designs revealed for a new entertainment complex in China.
Modernist architecture and its many international variations explained.
Work set to begin on 'one of America's greatest parks', which will be 10 times bigger than Central Park.
One of our most popular articles - RSHP's Mike Davies writes about the concept design process.