- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Dec 2014
Self-build home: Justify the project
Justifying the project is the first, and perhaps the most important stage. It involves assessing whether the project is worth pursuing and whether it is likely to be deliverable. Because of the importance of these issues, it can be beneficial to seek expert advice, perhaps from a surveyor or an architect with experience of self-build homes.
Prepare a statement of need
A ‘statement of need’ is a first attempt to set down on paper the requirements that could justify the project. It should also list alternative solutions, such as; purchasing a completed building, extending or refurbishing an existing building, doing nothing and so on.
- The likelihood of obtaining a suitable plot.
- The likelihood of obtaining planning permission.
- The likely order of cost of the project (including fees, taxes, contingency, inflation, fixtures and fittings and so on).
- The availability of funds.
- The likely delivery route (see Develop a delivery strategy for more information).
- The likely length of the project programme.
- Alternative accommodation arrangements during construction (if necessary).
- An assessment of project risks.
- Assessment of comparable completed projects.
- An assessment of the amount of time that can be dedicated to the project.
- The strategy for managing the project.
- An assessment of the assistance that might be required.
- A preliminary organisational structure for the project.
- The likely value of the finished home.
Featured articles and news
Architectural Technology Studio 3
Construction Industry Advisory Committee CONIAC
The real impact of late payment.
How to tell which infrastructure projects will work.
The government announces the biggest change in building safety for a generation.
Key messages from the UN COP 25 conference.
Reducing the risks of buying off-plan
A lighthouse history from Eddystone to Fastnet. Book review.
Telling the story of the Government Code and Cipher School.
Are you an experienced writer with a practical understanding of the industry?
Hagia Sophia, Istanbul.
New Dwelling House at Grange View.
The causes of sinkholes.