- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 Nov 2020
Self-build home: Justify the project
Justifying the project is the first, and perhaps the most important stage. It involves assessing whether the project is worth pursuing and whether it is likely to be deliverable. Because of the importance of these issues, it can be beneficial to seek expert advice, perhaps from a surveyor or an architect with experience of self-build homes.
Prepare a statement of need
A ‘statement of need’ is a first attempt to set down on paper the requirements that could justify the project. It should also list alternative solutions, such as; purchasing a completed building, extending or refurbishing an existing building, doing nothing and so on.
- The likelihood of obtaining a suitable plot.
- The likelihood of obtaining planning permission.
- The likely order of cost of the project (including fees, taxes, contingency, inflation, fixtures and fittings and so on).
- The availability of funds.
- The likely delivery route (see Develop a delivery strategy for more information).
- The likely length of the project programme.
- Alternative accommodation arrangements during construction (if necessary).
- An assessment of project risks.
- Assessment of comparable completed projects.
- An assessment of the amount of time that can be dedicated to the project.
- The strategy for managing the project.
- An assessment of the assistance that might be required.
- A preliminary organisational structure for the project.
- The likely value of the finished home.
Featured articles and news
Proper materials and maintenance can help reduce rust.
Is the construction sector responding to calls for ED&I?
Engineers pay tribute by sharing their memories.
The hidden price of infrastructure.
BREEAM incorporates wellbeing into its Building Back Better programme.
Administration signals policy changes on some building-related issues.
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.