- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Jun 2016
Recovered planning appeal
However, planning appeals can be ‘recovered’ for decision by the Secretary of State. In this case the planning inspector prepares a report recommending how the appeal should be determined and passes this to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State will then consider the inspector's recommendations and make a decision.
Appeals can be recovered at any stage of the appeal process, even after there has been a planning inquiry.
Appeals that are recovered tend to be:
- Those that relate to important projects of local significance.
- Proposals that give rise to regional or national controversy.
- Proposals that present novel issues or legal difficulties.
- Proposals that relate to the delivery of government policy or other government interests.
- Proposals relating to World Heritage Sites.
- Proposals relating to traveller sites in the green belt.
Recovered appeals are determined in the same way as normal appeals, based on written representations, hearings or inquiries.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Called-in planning applications.
- Planning appeal.
- Planning Inspectorate.
- Planning permission.
- Planning related applications for judicial review.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Securing suitable water systems.
Love them or hate them, they are popping up everywhere.
The initiative to enhance the environment continues.
Could underused community spaces offer an alternative to working from home?
Keeping workers and workplaces safe in the United States.
A history lesson in geographic information systems.
A low tech, easy to use method of extinguishing small fires.
How can these valued spaces be reused?
Partnership avoids the need for listed building consent.
Connecting building design from inception to completion to operations.
Gregor Harvie predicts interoperability will be construction’s Uber moment.
Expert commentary and insight.
Guidance offered for stained glass window maintenance.
Define need before determining viability.