- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Jun 2016
Recovered planning appeal
However, planning appeals can be ‘recovered’ for decision by the Secretary of State. In this case the planning inspector prepares a report recommending how the appeal should be determined and passes this to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State will then consider the inspector's recommendations and make a decision.
Appeals can be recovered at any stage of the appeal process, even after there has been a planning inquiry.
Appeals that are recovered tend to be:
- Those that relate to important projects of local significance.
- Proposals that give rise to regional or national controversy.
- Proposals that present novel issues or legal difficulties.
- Proposals that relate to the delivery of government policy or other government interests.
- Proposals relating to World Heritage Sites.
- Proposals relating to traveller sites in the green belt.
NB See Written statement by the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (Mr. Parmjit Dhanda) June 2008 for more information.
Recovered appeals are determined in the same way as normal appeals, based on written representations, hearings or inquiries.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Called-in planning applications.
- Planning appeal.
- Planning Inspectorate.
- Planning permission.
- Planning related applications for judicial review.
 External references
Featured articles and news
Consistently one of our most popular articles - so just how much do you know about BoQ's?
Significant updates encourage whole building life cycle assessment and recognise products with Environmental Product Declarations.
Gustavo Giovannoni’s role in integrating modern planning requirements into historic town centres.
Desipite Hackitt's recommendations, the government are to consult on combustible cladding.
People or density - can we create urban liveability at ever-increasing densities?
3D printing is the computer-controlled sequential layering of materials to create 3D shapes.
Hackitt review calls for a radical rethink of the whole system and how it works.
Life cycle assessment is used to total up the environmental impact of a product’s supply chain. But why building LCA?
The government warns building owners of a performance issue with Grenfell fire doors.