- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Jun 2016
Recovered planning appeal
However, planning appeals can be ‘recovered’ for decision by the Secretary of State. In this case the planning inspector prepares a report recommending how the appeal should be determined and passes this to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State will then consider the inspector's recommendations and make a decision.
Appeals can be recovered at any stage of the appeal process, even after there has been a planning inquiry.
Appeals that are recovered tend to be:
- Those that relate to important projects of local significance.
- Proposals that give rise to regional or national controversy.
- Proposals that present novel issues or legal difficulties.
- Proposals that relate to the delivery of government policy or other government interests.
- Proposals relating to World Heritage Sites.
- Proposals relating to traveller sites in the green belt.
NB See Written statement by the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (Mr. Parmjit Dhanda) June 2008 for more information.
Recovered appeals are determined in the same way as normal appeals, based on written representations, hearings or inquiries.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Called-in planning applications.
- Planning appeal.
- Planning Inspectorate.
- Planning permission.
- Planning related applications for judicial review.
 External references
Featured articles and news
The new NEC4 contract creates a true procurement alliance arrangement for all stakeholders.
Andrew Strauss talks about performance and team building at the 2018 BSRIA Briefing.
Applications have to be in by the end of the week.
Reflections on the 5th Annual Global Congress of Knowledge Economy, held in Qingdao, China.
An artist finds ruined and decaying buildings a source of inspiration for his work. Book review.
When is there a right to light, and what happens if it is obstructed?
What would the nationalisation of economic infrastructure mean for GB?
A new guide to improving value by reducing design error.
We've reached 80,000 page views a day and 10,000 registered users. Why not join them?
A masterplan is a framework within which a location is encouraged to develop or change. Read our introductory article.
New consultation announced on a specialist Housing Court to settle landlord-tenant disputes.