- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 08 Nov 2021
Parenthetical referencing, also known as ‘Harvard referencing’ is a method for citing works.
Designing Buildings Wiki adopts the ‘author date’ style of parenthetical referencing. In this method, the (author surname, date of publication) is included in the body of the text after the description of the work being cited. The full reference is then included in a references section at the end of the document.
 Within the text
The (author, date) within the text can be presented as:
- (author, date).
- (author, date a,b,c etc) with references a,b,c etc. in date order if more than one publication is cited from the same author from the same year.
- (author 1 and author 2, date) if there are two authors.
- (author et al. date) if there are more than two authors.
- (author, date, P.No.) if a particular page number is being cited.
 Full reference
The full reference at the end of the document is presented as:
- Surname, Initial of author(s). (date of publication) Name of publication, Place of publication, Name of publisher.
- Surname, Initial of author(s). (date of publication) Article title, Journal name, volume, pages.
 Online content:
- Surname, Initial of author(s) or editor(s). or organisation name (date of publication if known) Title, Place of publication (if known), Name of publisher (if known). Available from: URL [Accessed Date]. Ideally the accessed date should include a time. This is necessary for editable content that might change through the course of a day.
 Chapter in multi-contributor book
- Surname, Initial of author(s). of chapter. (date of publication) Title of chapter, in Surname, Initial of author(s) of book, Name of publication, Place of publication, Name of publisher, pages.
 Unknown information
- n.d if the date of publication is unknown.
- n.p if the place of publication or publisher is unknown.
- Anon. if the author is unknown.
 Citing articles on Designing Buildings
Featured articles and news
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.