Parenthetical referencing, also known as ‘Harvard referencing’ is a method for citing works.
Designing Buildings Wiki adopts the ‘author date’ style of parenthetical referencing. In this method, the (author surname, date of publication) is included in the body of the text after the description of the work being cited. The full reference is then included in a references section at the end of the document.
 Within the text
The (author, date) within the text can be presented as:
- (author, date).
- (author, date a,b,c etc) with references a,b,c etc. in date order if more than one publication is cited from the same author from the same year.
- (author 1 and author 2, date) if there are two authors.
- (author et al. date) if there are more than two authors.
- (author, date, P.No.) if a particular page number is being cited.
 Full reference
The full reference at the end of the document is presented as:
- Surname, Initial of author(s). (date of publication) Name of publication, Place of publication, Name of publisher.
- Surname, Initial of author(s). (date of publication) Article title, Journal name, volume, pages.
 Online content:
- Surname, Initial of author(s) or editor(s). or organisation name (date of publication if known) Title, Place of publication (if known), Name of publisher (if known). Available from: URL [Accessed Date]. Ideally the accessed date should include a time. This is necessary for editable content that might change through the course of a day.
 Chapter in multi-contributor book
- Surname, Initial of author(s). of chapter. (date of publication) Title of chapter, in Surname, Initial of author(s) of book, Name of publication, Place of publication, Name of publisher, pages.
 Unknown information
- n.d if the date of publication is unknown.
- n.p if the place of publication or publisher is unknown.
- Anon. if the author is unknown.
Featured articles and news
Here is our list of the top 25 buildings in London. Do you agree with our selection?
A blueprint for the construction industry from Canada's west coast.
China's elaborate idea for a mass-transport system has been abandoned.
Read this article about the theories that characterise life in the hyperreal post-modern city.
Polyisocyanurate (PIR) insulation and how it was tested.
"We can’t sustain low density suburbs, density isn't a choice, it's a necessity." - Read our interview with the award-winning social housing architect Peter Barber.
Conservation area designation can be crucial, but treatment of individual parks varies considerably.
ICE publish new NEC4 Design, Build and Operate contract.
Report states $2 trillion is needed over the next 10 years to fix American roads.
What is the client's strategic brief for construction projects?
Read the story behind the world's most iconic festival stage, Glastonbury's Pyramid Stage.
First ever BREEAM Communities innovation credit is claimed by Temple Farm Development.
Read the story of Ronan Point, another disastrous event which had profound consequences for the construction industry.
CIOB to help conservation specialists gain recognition for their expertise with launch of new Certification Scheme.
What is ACM cladding, what is it used for, and is it banned?