Parenthetical referencing, also known as ‘Harvard referencing’ is a method for citing works.
Designing Buildings Wiki adopts the ‘author date’ style of parenthetical referencing. In this method, the (author surname, date of publication) is included in the body of the text after the description of the work being cited. The full reference is then included in a references section at the end of the document.
 Within the text
The (author, date) within the text can be presented as:
- (author, date).
- (author, date a,b,c etc) with references a,b,c etc. in date order if more than one publication is cited from the same author from the same year.
- (author 1 and author 2, date) if there are two authors.
- (author et al. date) if there are more than two authors.
- (author, date, P.No.) if a particular page number is being cited.
 Full reference
The full reference at the end of the document is presented as:
- Surname, Initial of author(s). (date of publication) Name of publication, Place of publication, Name of publisher.
- Surname, Initial of author(s). (date of publication) Article title, Journal name, volume, pages.
 Online content:
- Surname, Initial of author(s) or editor(s). or organisation name (date of publication if known) Title, Place of publication (if known), Name of publisher (if known). Available from: URL [Accessed Date]. Ideally the accessed date should include a time. This is necessary for editable content that might change through the course of a day.
 Chapter in multi-contributor book
- Surname, Initial of author(s). of chapter. (date of publication) Title of chapter, in Surname, Initial of author(s) of book, Name of publication, Place of publication, Name of publisher, pages.
 Unknown information
- n.d if the date of publication is unknown.
- n.p if the place of publication or publisher is unknown.
- Anon. if the author is unknown.
Featured articles and news
What is Modernism?
Modernist architecture and its many international variations explained.
BRE support Europe-wide strategic heating plans for local and national authorities.
Work set to begin on 'one of America's greatest parks', which will be 10 times bigger than Central Park.
One of our most popular articles - RSHP's Mike Davies writes about the concept design process.
As Cuba mourn the death of Castro, major renovation of this symbolic landmark may be a reflection of the country's fresh start.
How cannabis plants are used to create an alternative building material with plenty of advantages.
What does Mayor Sadiq Khan's first policy statement mean for London's infrastructure?
Bjarke Ingels Group announced as winners of design competition for new residential landmark in Amsterdam.
Designing Buildings Wiki has reviewed a well-designed and researched set of architecture city maps.
Designing Buildings Wiki attended the second annual Building Live conference, tackling the challenges facing construction.