- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 08 Mar 2021
The Construction Terms Reference Library, published by the Construction Innovation Hub in 2019 defines a nanomaterial as a:
|…natural, incidental or manufactured material containing particles, in an unbound state or as an aggregate or as an agglomerate and where, for 50% or more of the particles in the number size distribution, one or more external dimensions is in the size range 1-100 nm.|
As defined by the EU “2011/696/EU: Commission recommendation on the definition of nanomaterial”, Official Journal of the European Union, O J L 275, 20.10.2011, p. 38-40.
Table 2. Example MNP Construction Material Impacts
Adapted from 45 64 37:
- S. K. Arora et al, “Drivers of technology adoption – The case of nanomaterials in buildings construction,” Technological forecasting and social change, vol. 87, pp. 232-244, 2014.
- Nanowerk, “Nanotechnology in the Construction Industry,” [Online]. Available: https://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-in-construction-industry.php [Accessed 28 June 2019].
- C. Hierold, A. Jungen, C. Stampfer, and T Helbling, “Nano electromechanical sensors based on carbon nanotubes,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, vol. 136, pp.51-61, 2007.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Carbon nano-tube.
- Micro / nano electromechanical system.
Featured articles and news
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.
Help us update process pieces from your field.
APM report explores existing practice.
COVID-19 and the importance of mental wellbeing.
As Professionally Qualified Person (PQP).
In order of relevance and with industry responses.
Raising awareness of the impacts of loneliness.
The list is growing, and in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t build new, If we can’t maintain what's built.
Timber Accelerator Hub phase 1 report