- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 18 Jan 2021
Construction slump - perfect storm
Statistics come out about the construction industry every week. And they always seem to be bad. But what do they really mean?
How does the economic outlook today compare with the last ten years?
Here are a few of the headlines:
- Private sector construction collapsed after the credit crunch.
- But the public sector stepped in with a massive increase in spending, so overall the industry didn't fair too badly until the beginning of this year.
- Over the last 6-9 months however public sector funding has started to dry up.
- As a result, right now, total output is 9% lower than it was in 2002.
- If public sector cuts continue, the private sector will need to grow by more than a third of a billion pounds a quarter just to maintain current output.
- At the moment there are no signs that the private sector is growing.
Click on the link below to read the report:
Or download it as a PDF with bonus comments and possible solutions from David Trench:
See our suggestions for how to get construction back on track. Just click on the Discussion link at the top of this page.
Featured articles and news
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.