Construction industry statistics
This article presents links to sources of construction industry statistics. This has become more difficult since the Office for National Statistics stopped compiling the full range of data sets in their Construction Statistics Annual.
NB In a letter from Ed Humpherson, Director General for Regulation at the UK Statistics Authority, to John Pullinger, National Statistician, on 11 December 2014, it was made clear that UK statistics for Construction Output and New Orders can no longer be designated as National Statistics. See Construction statistics no longer designated as National Statistics for more information
Office for National Statistics (ONS)
- Building and construction.
- New Orders.
- Construction Output tables.
- Turnover of construction service businesses. (Annual Business Survey)
- United Kingdom National Accounts, The Blue Book.
- Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings.
- Labour market statistics.
Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- Local Authority Expenditure.
- Planning application statistics.
- Household interim projections (2011 to 2021) in England.
- The Construction Industry Training Board Trainee numbers.
- HSE Injuries in Great Britain by Industry and severity of injury.
- Gardiner and Theobald: International construction cost survey.
- Glenigan Reports.
- Constructing Excellence and Glenigan: Industry performance report.
- Planning: Planning Consultancy Survey.
Featured articles and news
“UK waste data needs improving” say BRE specialists, in this summary of their report into construction waste.
UandI announce new joint venture with US developer to work on office refurbishment projects.
BSRIA give critical response to Theresa May's speech on leaving the EU.
Why buildings crack, how cracks are categorised and what can be done.
Inaugurated last week, the new Elbphilharmonie concert venue; a soaring new addition to Hamburg's skyline.
Summary of a new ICE Transport journal which says improving transport infrastructure is essential to eradicating global poverty.
BRE look at a new government report into the accuracy of heat meters.
Herzog & de Meuron get planning permission for revamp of Chelsea FC football stadium.
UK-GBC green paper proposes more powers for cities on new-build housing.
The Pompidou Centre – not a monument but an event.
The Chartered Institute of Building restructures and launches 29 new local hubs.
Designing Buildings Wiki talks to the founder of the world's first indoor biophilic gym, now open in London.