Construction industry statistics
This article presents links to sources of construction industry statistics. This has become more difficult since the Office for National Statistics stopped compiling the full range of data sets in their Construction Statistics Annual.
NB In a letter from Ed Humpherson, Director General for Regulation at the UK Statistics Authority, to John Pullinger, National Statistician, on 11 December 2014, it was made clear that UK statistics for Construction Output and New Orders can no longer be designated as National Statistics. See Construction statistics no longer designated as National Statistics for more information
Office for National Statistics (ONS)
- Building and construction.
- New Orders.
- Construction Output tables.
- Turnover of construction service businesses. (Annual Business Survey)
- United Kingdom National Accounts, The Blue Book.
- Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings.
- Labour market statistics.
Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- Local Authority Expenditure.
- Planning application statistics.
- Household interim projections (2011 to 2021) in England.
- The Construction Industry Training Board Trainee numbers.
- HSE Injuries in Great Britain by Industry and severity of injury.
- Gardiner and Theobald: International construction cost survey.
- Glenigan Reports.
- Constructing Excellence and Glenigan: Industry performance report.
- Planning: Planning Consultancy Survey.
Featured articles and news
Have a look at our article explaining the different types of construction contractor.
Futurist Thomas Frey explores the concept of Disposable Housing - could it be a reality sooner than we imagine?
ICE to host new exhibition offering a window onto the civil engineering achievements beneath our feet.
Do you know all the various types of defects in brickwork?
US museum reveals plans for an installation made entirely of paper tubes.
Review of a book looking at how contemporary architecture found its expression within neoliberal capitalism.
The Great Mosque of Djenne, the largest mud-brick building in the world.
Amanda Clack, RICS President offers recommendations to government on Brexit and the construction skills shortage.
Tired of the commute? This architecture firm believes the best solution is to take cars underground.
Why do so many women leave engineering? Probably not for the reason you’re thinking.
For over 30 years David Trench was one of the UK's leading project managers. Read about his career through some of his most famous projects.
Leading institutes join forces calling for property flood resilience measures to help householders avoid repeat flooding.