Construction industry statistics
This article presents links to sources of construction industry statistics. This has become more difficult since the Office for National Statistics stopped compiling the full range of data sets in their Construction Statistics Annual.
NB In a letter from Ed Humpherson, Director General for Regulation at the UK Statistics Authority, to John Pullinger, National Statistician, on 11 December 2014, it was made clear that UK statistics for Construction Output and New Orders can no longer be designated as National Statistics. See Construction statistics no longer designated as National Statistics for more information
Office for National Statistics (ONS)
- Building and construction.
- New Orders.
- Construction Output tables.
- Turnover of construction service businesses. (Annual Business Survey)
- United Kingdom National Accounts, The Blue Book.
- Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings.
- Labour market statistics.
Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS)
- Local Authority Expenditure.
- Planning application statistics.
- Household interim projections (2011 to 2021) in England.
- The Construction Industry Training Board Trainee numbers.
- HSE Injuries in Great Britain by Industry and severity of injury.
- Gardiner and Theobald: International construction cost survey.
- Glenigan Reports.
- Constructing Excellence and Glenigan: Industry performance report.
- Planning: Planning Consultancy Survey.
Featured articles and news
Have a look at some of the most impressive concert stage designs of all time, including Pink Floyd, U2, Rolling Stones, and more...
What is the Home Quality Mark? Find out how it can help you when buying/renting a new home.
Business Secretary launches £246m Faraday Challenge to establish UK as world leader in battery technology.
Government announces new plans for regulations to improve safety and security awareness of drone users.
Read our introductory article to the various different types of fuel.
IHBC book review: Charles Barry’s monumental struggle to rebuild the Houses of Parliament.
Read about RSHP's British Museum extension which has been shortlisted for the 2017 Stirling Prize.
Read our introductory article to building a house extension.
More updates from DCMS about the large-scale testing of cladding systems and the number of buildings affected.
UandI secure resolution to grant planning consent for major new regeneration project.
IHBC article considers how heritage is dealt with when infrastructure schemes are authorised.
It was the tallest structure in the world for 3,800 years, but to this day the exact construction techniques are a mystery.
Shortlist for the industry's most coveted award announced.