Holy Austin rock houses
|Set in sandstone below Kinver Edge, the Holy Austin rock houses were inhabited until the 1960s. They have been restored and are owned by the National Trust. cc-by-sa/2.0 - © Graham Hogg - geograph.org.uk/p/5773126|
Also referred to as troglodyte dwellings, the Holy Austin rock houses are located in Kinver, England. Carved into the 250-million-year old sandstone cliff, these tiered cave homes were inhabited for more than 400 years.
Although the dwellings may go back to the early 17th century, the first recorded occupant was Joseph Heely, who lived in one of the rock houses in 1777. The softness of the sandstone made it easy to create new rooms. By 1860, 11 houses had been carved into Holy Austin to provide homes for 44 people.
- Nanny's Rock (also known as 'Meg-o-Fox-Hole’) has five compartments but it is not known if it was ever converted into a house.
- Vale's Rock (also known as Crow's Rock) was converted into a house with several levels.
In addition to the rock houses, a tearoom was established for visitors who wished to enjoy the countryside. The cafe operated until 1967, even after the occupants had moved away. Once the cafe closed, the homes fell into disrepair. Vandalism and nature combined to destroy the properties until the Natural Trust took over ownership in the 1990s.
|This photo the rock houses for troglodytes before their restoration.|
The second phase of restoration work began in 1996 on the lower level. This home had its own ‘ballroom’ according to photographic evidence and once belonged to a family that had been the subject of a painting by Alfred Rushton. Details in the painting were also used to help complete the project. The rock house is now decorated in the style of a Victorian home.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
The Inquiry is into ‘21st Century Places – Values & Benefits‘
The awards showcase the very best historic places and cultural sites from across the globe.
The IHBC’s latest Toolbox Guidance Note, on ‘Alterations to Listed Buildings’ has been issued following UK-wide consultation.
The ruins of Ousdale Burn Broch, north of Helmsdale in Caithness, had fallen into further disrepair over the past 130 years.
Europe’s largest air museum and Britain’s best-preserved Second World War airfield – has been included in Grade II* listing, even though technically too recent.
The College of Arts and Conservation has won the award for a for a project which provides or improves facilities for the community, including a £5.8M restoration of the College’s 126-year-old roof.
Completion of the restoration of Stowe House’s North Hall, largely funded by World Monuments Fund (WMF), came a step closer this summer with the installation of a statue of Mercury opposite the imposing Laocoön group installed last year.
The CREATIVE Conservation Fund helps the IHBC generate and distribute funds exclusively to deserving causes in built and historic environment conservation.
For years, there have been rumours whispered around Plymouth and Cornwall about so-called ‘nuclear tunnels’ that exist beneath the Tamar Valley.
Just under half of England’s busiest bridges are severely defected or damaged, but have remained open due to concerns about an influx of traffic should repairs be ordered, it has been revealed.