- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
About Business Sprinkler Alliance
Better protection | Better business
Institute / association
The Business Sprinkler Alliance (BSA) is a coalition organisation established in 2010 to increase the number of businesses that have fire sprinklers fitted in their premises.
The BSA advocates greater resilience on the part of businesses, driving a culture change that means sprinklers are accepted as standard for commercial and industrial premises in the UK.
BSA aims to:
- Deliver robust information and insight into the benefits of fire sprinklers and the critical importance of fire prevention.
- Increase consideration of fire sprinklers by those who design, construct and approve new business buildings.
- Ensure business decision makers appreciate the role that fire sprinklers can play in physical and commercial resilience.
- Continue dialogue with regulators and legislators to review existing evidence and law, supporting the sprinkler case.
- Drive widespread awareness of fire sprinklers to effect a culture change for their acceptance and adoption.
The founding members of BSA include:
- National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC).
- National Fire Sprinkler Network (NFSN).
- European Fire Sprinkler Network (EFSN).
- Fire Protection Association (FPA).
- British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association (BAFSA).
- FM Global.
A series of articles have been published on Designing Buildings Wiki, extracted from The impact of automatic sprinklers on building design, an independent report produced by WSP, sponsored by the Business Sprinkler Alliance (BSA) and published in September 2017:
- BS 9999 Automatic sprinkler design compensation benefits.
- Case study A for offices to show where automatic sprinklers have the greatest impact.
- Case study B for offices to show where automatic sprinklers have the greatest impact.
- Costs of water automatic sprinkler systems.
- Design benefits of automatic sprinkler systems granted under approved document B.
- Overview of automatic sprinkler system design and operation.
- The cost efficiency of different combinations of fire protection measures.
- The impact of automatic sprinklers on building design.
Featured articles and news
The government moves to halt the rise of gender neutral facilities.
The role of HVAC systems in the safe return to work.
CLC provides guidance related to product marks, post-Brexit.
Net zero goals incorporated into plans for a new European Bauhaus.
BREEAM offers its resilient approach to Building Back Better.
Country moves one step closer to creating independent body.
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.