- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
About Building Research & Information
BRI is a research journal that focuses on buildings, building stocks and their supporting systems.
BUILDING RESEARCH & INFORMATION ( BRI ) is a research journal that focuses on buildings, building stocks and their supporting systems. It publishes original research, information papers, book reviews and commentaries. Unique to BRI is a holistic and transdisciplinary approach to buildings, which acknowledges the complexity of the built environment and other systems over their life.
Published articles utilize conceptual and evidence-based approaches which reflect the complexity and linkages between culture, environment, economy, society, organisations, quality of life, health, well-being, design and engineering of the built environment. All submitted manuscripts are subject to initial appraisal by the Editors, and, if found suitable for further consideration, to highly rigorous, double-blind peer review by independent, anonymous expert referees.
BRI 's wide scope embraces:
- SUSTAINABILITY & CLIMATE CHANGE: impacts on ecologies, resources (water, energy, air, materials, building stocks), sustainable development (social, economic, environmental and natural capitals) and climate change (mitigation and adaptation)
- PERFORMANCE & IMPACTS: the (design, technical, social, organisational, economic) performance, impacts, assessment, contributions, improvement and value of buildings, building stocks and related systems
- CAPABILITIES: Understanding the capabilities and motivations of occupants, their practices and behaviours. Exploring the supply chain's capabilities to address stakeholders' needs, improve the performance of buildings and building stocks, provide stewardship, and to protect public / societal interests.
- SOCIETAL DEMANDS: defining and exploring the changing demands and aspirations for architectural design, development and property. Topics include low-energy, regenerative design, retrofit, thermal comfort, longevity and obsolescence, space standards.
- POLICY: formulation of public policy; research, academic and innovation capabilities; organisational structures and networks; engagement between research users, policy makers and practitioners to effectively support the above scope and objectives.
Featured articles and news
A brief description of time in the sun.
Given by ICE President Ed McCann.
Two new research reports published by APM.
50% off APM Associate membership for Designing Buildings users.
A commentary from the insurance perspective.
In brief with further links.
A definitive book on a pioneer of green architecture.
Using heritage as a catalyst for reviving historic centres.
Declaration prioritising sustainable urbanisation adopted.
Some brief words about the actuator.
After 34 years at the Institute.
To support the next generation of engineers.
CIAT reporting from the Competition and Markets Authority.
Making sustainable construction number one priority.
Interview with ECA CEO.
Many provisions came into force on June 28, 2022.
With room to expand.
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !